Cutting acrylic

I used a sabre saw with a fine blade to cut some acrylic.

The acrylic melted during the cutting process and rejoined itself.

I tried it with water to cool it, but not much good.

How the heck do you cut the stuff?

Scoring it won't work in my case.

And using a hacksaw would be very difficult.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Easy to google up:

Frank

I tried cutting acrylic/plexiglass myself, once, with a cutter designed for this material. Needless to say I made a mess of it. I just go to my local Lowe's and get them to cut it at the dimensions I've given them.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

It's a mess cutting it.

I have about 20 cuts to make.

Cuts from 2 to 6 inches each.

Reply to
Andy

Slow down your sabre saw. If it isn't a variable speed unit, try using a speed controller.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Thanks. I slowed it to half speed.

I found that when I clamped a thin piece of plywood behind it, it cut perfect with no cracking. :-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy

YAY!!