Cutting A Sheetrock Panel

utility knife

Reply to
Steve Barker

Tell that to my drawer of drywall tools. They get thoroughly washed and dried after every use. Try taking a look at a box cutter blade that has been used on sheetrock and left laying around.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yes blades are fine but either the sheetrock dust or the spackle dust will tear up the bearings on lot's of tools. I think it's the spackle dust.

Reply to
Tony

That has more to do with the steel used in the drywall tools than the gypsum dust. Use stainless drywall tools and you won't have to worry about drying them.

As far as the utility knife blades with gypsum dust, mine always have some gyp dust on them and I've never noticed accelerated rusting. Are you in a particularly humid environment? When I lived in New Orleans everything rusted. _New_ cans of paint would have rust spots on the lid.

RicodJour

-snip-

-snip-

His tools are *when he washes them.*

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I was asking because of the utility knife blades - you snipped that part out.

RicodJour

Climate here (E Washington) is semi-arid. 16" average/yr.

I think I will test my old shredder. Last time I used it was to shred sheetrock scraps on a bad patch of pasture land hopping the 'rock' would sweeten up the soil abit. Couldn't see the machine after the first chunk :). Wonder if it will even turn over although I have it a real washdown with a hose and left it parked in the sun for two days.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Because it doesn't matter if he is living in the Gobi desert or using steel wool for a tool. Once he washes them he adds moisture & gets rusty tools. . . and blames gypsum, instead of soapy water.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Stop storing your tools at the bottom of your swimming pool, and that won't happen.

Seriously, though -- you ought to look at getting a dehumidifier for wherever it is that you keep your tools. I *don't* have a problem with my tools rusting, whether I've used them on drywall or not. It's an environment issue, not a drywall issue. And I repeat: Iron doesn't rust unless it gets wet. It

*can't*: rust is _by definition_ *hydrated* iron oxide. Iron oxide is black, not red. It doesn't -- can't -- become rust without the presence of water.
Reply to
Doug Miller

You must have missed DRYING.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

And did you not know that gypsum absorbs moisture?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Not enough to rust the blades on *my* utility knives -- but I don't store my tools in a humid area, either. In any event, it certainly isn't gypsum that's causing rust on tools that you've _washed the gypsum off of_.

It's water.

Either you're not getting them as dry as you think you are, or you're storing your tools in a humid place. Or maybe your cat pees in your toolbox.

Get a dehumidifier for your workshop or wherever it is you store your tools, and you won't have a rust problem. And shut the door to keep the cat out.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You're selectively reading, Jim. Harry did not mention washing his utility knife blade - he said he used it and left it laying around, which is what everyone does.

So, unless you feel he's making stuff up, what would you attribute his rusting knife blades to, if not excess humidity - rust gremlins? That's why I asked about the humidity level in his area.

RicodJour

Really, the humidity level in his geographical area isn't anywhere nearly as important as the humidity where he stores his tools -- if they're in a damp basement, they're going to rust. Conversely, it's pretty humid in Indianapolis, where I live, but I don't have a rust problem on my tools, which I credit to the dehumidifier in the workshop.

Reply to
Doug Miller