I was curious what you thought about my current hot tub maintenance, which
is at best very minimal. I change the water about every 3 or 4 months and
the only thing that I put in each time is the spa purifier by nature 2 which
looks like it's some stones inside a canister and that is it. In fact I don'
t even change the outside filter which looks like an air filter in your car,
obviously bigger that that. I haven't changed that for maybe a year and a
half to two years. I just sort of rinse it down pretty well. I was curious
what you thought about this minimal maintenance. Am I going to have any
problems health wise or mechanical wise? I appreciate any input you might
have. Thank you.
You may want to look up mycobacteria or mycobacterium and lung disease
caused by airborne bacteria in the water mist coming from improperly
maintained tub water. I just read an article on it today and problems
with (mostly indoor) hot tubs.
Quality Water Associates
Actually, the Nature^2 product you use is minimal maintanence, but not so
little as you do. We use that system ourselves.
You need to do the following:
a) replace the Nature^2 cart every 4 months
b) Follow the "spa recipe" that comes with the product. Basically this
means putting oxidizer shock in once a week, and every time you use the spa.
You also use a small amount of clorine to help keep the water clear.
c) Clean that filter! It's recommended to do it every couple weeks - -I
have to admit I do it much less. But aside from spraying it out regularaly,
you need to buy some filter soak and really deep-clean the thing. Actually
in your case I'd recommend pitching your filter, and buying two new ones.
After that you can properly clean/soak them and have a clean one ready to go
(soaking takes at least 24 hours).
d) For occasional use, your water change schedule is probably about right.
If you use the tub every day, or don't bathe before using it, or have other
issues, then you should do a full water change more often.
e) Finally, keep an eye on your pH. Too high is better than too low, as
that will literally eat your spa alive (acid water).
Hope that helps!
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.