Craftsman Garage Door will not stay closed

My chain recently came off. After I put the chain back on and tightened it, when I would close the door, it would go all the way down then go right back up and stop in the up position. It willl not stay down. do I need to reset something?

Reply to
jayvee

Sounds like the door 'doesn't think' it's all the way down and has encountered an obstacle so it reverses out of safety. Go thru the limit switch adjustment in the install manual. Sounds like you've mispositioned the chain by a number of links.

lee h

Reply to
lee_houston

Two things will make the door go back up:

1) something "trips" the light sensor (that tells if something's in the way)

2) it senses too much force needed to close the door (like something's under the door)

Both are safety measures to prevent injury to anyone (or any cat ;) stuck under the door. If the door is working properly it should obviously stay closed. Don't discount #1, sometimes my door has soom cobwebs or grass clippings that trip the light sensor on the way down and then the door will reverse. Just remembered one more thing, during certain times of the day the sun shines right on the light sensor and that will make it not close.

But, more than likely the door is sensing too much force to close. Like maybe the sensors to stop the motion are not set quite right (like someone else stated). When working properly you can test the safety system by laying a 2x4 under the door. When it closes on the 2x4 it should reverse and go back up.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Richard Thoms

This problem started after reinstalling the chain, all you have to do is readjust the travel limits. As Lee stated, it's probably off by a couple of links.

Rich ==================================== Garage Door Parts, LLC

Reply to
Rich

Or you over-tightened the chain, the motor senses to much force, and reverses.

Reply to
mistermaniac