vapor barrier in bathroom walls?

I had a shower pan leak in a bathroom. I have demolished the bathroom down to studs and subflooring. I found some mold growing on a couple studs. There is no exhaust fan in the bathroom and non can be installed. I am wondering if it would be wise or foolish to install a plastic vapor barrier on the walls prior to reinstalling the drywall?

Than ks

Robert

Reply to
Nospam

Depends on whether any wall is an exterior wall AND in what part of the country you reside.

Deep South, as in over 1500 Cooling Degree days, vapor barrier goes against the exterior sheathing. Areas that get significant cold, vapor barrier goes as close to the interior wall as possible.

Having said that, Hardibacker is HIGHLY resistant to moisture incursion, and can help greatly in keeping moisture out.

Reply to
Robert Gammon