Costs of roof repairs

Neat! LOL... Other scientists might even go so far as to say it's Van Der Waals forces...

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Thank you all for your replies.

The roof is in good shape in all but the areas I've mentioned. In those areas, the damage was done by water coming in from the edge. The fascia was loose in these areas and let water in under the shingles.

The shingles are not the problem as the water attacked the wood under them, not the shingles.

The roofing guy who got up on the roof did a very thorough inspection and said that the damage in two of the three areas was minimal but would probably need an entire panel replaced on each. The third area was the worst and had obviously been leaking for years. The leak went from the top to the inside of a screened in porch area. In that area, he said the decking and some damaged supports would have to be replaced.

The guy was very professional, very thorough and took his time. He was also inspecting it with the possibility of replacing the entire roof.

As to the appearance, I couldn't care less. I'm already old and live on a fixed income and I'll die in this house. If the neighbors don't like the way it looks when I'm done, they can pay for better repairs. Since I'm paying for it, I'll do what I can with what I have.

My home loan is as high as it will ever be. I'm not adding anything to it. I can't afford to. I'll check with the bank to see what the replacement of the entire roof would cost me on a roll-in, but I can't afford much of a difference.

I'll have 5 different roofers come out and estimate the job with no removal of debris. I can do that. I'm old and slow, but I can pick up the trash and stack it. Then I can put out a couple of sacks a week until it's gone.

My property is fenced with a 8 foot privacy fence and is gated with the same. No one can see anything below the roof.

Reply to
Merlin

try

chargerrtex

Try

www.therooftech.com

As an update, I've received and approved an estimate from a reputable roofing company in my area for the repair of the roof.

What was found: The only damage is to the edges of the roof on the two sides and the front. The damage only goes 3 feet in. The remainder of the roof is very solid and in no need of repair or replacement. The damage was caused by improperly installed flashing in these areas. The flashing wasn't sealed to the shingles and allowed rain intrusion that in turn rotted the wood on the edges.

What will be done: The plywood will be replaced 3 feet in from the edge of both sides and the front. The flashing will be replaced and sealed properly as well. The fascia will be replaced in these areas. Where the metal porch overhang meets the wood house, they are installing a foam barrier that is made for that application.

Total cost of job $2,000

5 year guarantee on all work.

I'm very happy with this.

Thank you all for your input and advice.

Reply to
Merlin

"Merlin" < wrote

I&#39;m happy you found a good company! Price seems lower than I would have thought. Are they redoing all the tiles too? Or did you luck up and have only 1 layer so they can add another this time?

How many layers is allowed varies by area due to weather differences. It&#39;s

2 max where I am. When I had mine redone, I already had 2 so had to have the old removed then replaced.

The really bad one across and down a bit from me just got finished.

45,000$. Man is he sorry he didnt do it 7 years ago when it was just a few plywood bits and no rafter damage. Another one near it is now having the same job we had done. Gonna run him about 6,000$ but he has 2 gables and stuff like that. Not as much wood needing replacement but some.
Reply to
cshenk

The roofer said that the shingles are in great shape and that the 3 layers of them can be reused with no problems. They will reattach them after replacing the wood. Only two layers are allowed on new installations now, but if reused, he&#39;ll be able to use all 3 layers without problems.

It&#39;s the slow season for roofing in Northern Florida right now, so maybe that&#39;s reflected in the price.

The roofer said they will be in and out in one day. He says this is a pretty small job for a roofer.

Reply to
Merlin

I&#39;d be slightly worried at reusing any but with 3 layers, perhaps it is possible to get 2 workbale ones left. He may have to spot piece some new material there but if it&#39;s a close match, it may not be that obvious.

Good! Our job was bigger but done in time so we look great now. I shudder at what some of the other houses on my block are paying due to delay.

Reply to
cshenk

Just an update on the repairs.

They did the job in one long day from 8am to 10pm, Wednesday.

The work was exceptionally well done and will resolve all the problems.

The total final price was $1,700 USD.

I&#39;m very, very happy with the work.

They ended up using brand new tiles around the 3 foot strip on the two sides and front, but the manner they used to interweave them with the old made a very nice looking pattern. I&#39;m proud of them for doing such a good job at such a reasonable price.

NO MORE LEAKS !!!!

Reply to
Merlin

good for you. Reasonable price for that amount of work, best part is that it works.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski