birdbath repair suggestions

I have a birdbath -- definitely not concrete or fiberglass, probably some kind of plaster. Apparently there was some sort of coating on the inside of the bowl and after a freezing night or two the coating spalled and the bowl developed some fine cracks and now leaks. I'm looking for some sort of coating I can use inside the bowl to stop the leaking. One of the local hardware stores recommended the water-based latex form of Drylok masonry waterproofer -- I wish it was available in less than a gallon-sized can. Someone else recommended some kind of bitumen paint -- but didn't know the brand or where it was available. Obviously I don't want anything that'd be toxic for the birds.

Anyone had experience with sealing a birdbath, fountain or, perhaps, something like a small koi pond?

Thanks in advance!

Northe Green Valley, AZ

Reply to
Northe

This is not a creative use for your time. Head for a garden shop and buy a more robust birdbath, or search the web for many of the online choices. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Any of the clear aquarium sealers might work (look at a pet/aquarium shop). The area to be sealed must be very clean and absolutely dry. If that fails, it probably a good time to think about replacing the birdbath. A freezing/thawing cycle will certainly make the smallest of all cracks worse.

Reply to
Phisherman

Don't use any thing with bitumenous material...bye, bye birdie.

If the cracks are truly fine an acrylic sealer such as Seal-Krete should work pretty well assuming the material is porous.

If it leaks a LOT, epoxy would fix it. Seal-Krete would be cheaper (MUCH), it costs around $12/gallon.

I would think a cementacious paint might work too. As would an elastometric paint.

Reply to
dadiOH

Reply to
jmagerl

Thanks for some good ideas.

I'll check on Seal-Krete and epoxy paint. The only aquarium sealers I've seen are the relatively thick material in tubes, and I'm intending to seal the entire surface -- I'm not rejecting the idea out of hand, though.

Northe

Reply to
Northe