Corner bead and materials questions

A carpenter friend of mine just graciously helped me drywall two rooms in my basement. He is a very busy man and so I don't want to take up any more of his time than I already have. He had me purchase some materials for handling the corners:

10' tear-away L bead vinyl #VLZL - 5 each

10' X 1 1/4" metal corner bead #CBCO - 10 each

8' X ½" metal j-bead #M401 - 6 each

I'm pretty sure I know what the metal corner bead is used for, but what are the other materials for? (windows, etc.?)

Also, any other tips on using these materials/installing corner beads?

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
Wes Stebbins

If the drywall is all hung, you do not need the j mold, you can take it back. It would have to have been used before the rock was hung. Do you have a place where the drywall butts up against something (a concrete wall, a steel column, window jambs, etc.)? L mold works in the same conditions that require j mold, but can be applied after the board is hung. If you can handle all edges with tape, corner bead, and/or caulk you won't need the L mold. It helps to make a clean, straight transition from one material to another -caulked or not

Many times it is better to have a few things to take back than to wish you had or need to go to the store to get.

DanG

The vinyl stuff is used for curves, like arches and such.

Reply to
John Hines