Concrete Patio

Have old worn out concrete patio with big holes and chunks taken out...my question is...do I have to take out the old concrete or can I just put in a layer of sand and lay new concrete blocks on top? Will that cause problems in the long run ...such as shifting of the pads and creating and uneven patio surface.... as the old concrete under the sand deteriorates further?

Thanks

Donna

Reply to
DoDa

Unclear: Is the existing patio a slab or blocks? Assumption: The new patio will be concrete pavers.

I would remove the old patio and properly prepare the surface for the new patio. If you don't you'll have uneven settling. There's enough uneven settling in a paver surface when the infrastructure is done right.

Reply to
SteveBell

Do you mean concrete pavers?

Are you in an area where you get hard freezes in winter? Tell us more about the old concrete. How think is it? Is it level? What kind of soil is under it?

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

Not sure what kind of soil is under it. It is a concrete pad ..I would guess about 1 or 2 inches thick...hard to tell as most of it is eroded and flaking off. What is left would probably have to be hammered out. So to save work ..I though just putting down a thick layer of sand and laying new patio blocks on top would do.

Reply to
DoDa

The original concrete pad is about 6 inches deep

Reply to
DoDa

It must have been some real junky concrete if it was 6 and broke up so bad. I think we can assume it has finished settling. If the area is not prone to holding lots of water after a rain, I'd go for it. Rather than sand, I would suggest a compactable select fill. Here it would be called crusher run or red select. Contact a local sand and gravel outfit to see what would be normal in your area. This will still require a thin layer of sand for fine grading under the pavers.

Let us know how it turns out.

Reply to
DanG

If you are gonna go to all the work of laying pavers- and it is a lot of work- best to do it right the first time. You don't wanna do it twice.

The price of pavers these days, unless a SWMBO was involved, I'd call in a flatwork company and have the concrete replaced. If patio has footings, they can sometimes be reused, if they haven't heaved.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

That begs the question- if he adds, say, six inches of gravel/sand/pavers to the residue of the existing patio, where will that come up to on the foundation and door openings? Can't say without seeing it, but I don't see many patios where you can add six inches, unless there is a step in front of all the doors.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

It probably didn't have any rebar either.

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea