Shingle (laminates) bundles on roof - How long?

How long can I leave these on the roof? They are in bundles plastic wrapped no more than 2 high - temperature in 60's, sometimes low 70's. They have been up there for 3 weeks so far and seem ok, a little sticky when hot but they separate ok when it cools down

Reply to
Mark

Yer pushin' it. Are you keeping them under a tarp, at least? Air temp isn't the problem, sunlight is. There is a reason lumber yard keeps these under roof. Unless the dots melt enough to get past the plastic guard strip, they should still work okay. A bigger concern is making a bowed spot in your decking or even a rafter- that is a lot of dead weight in one spot. And is rest of roof in tarpaper, or are you putting on a second layer? Neither is a really good idea- the tarpaper isn't supposed to be the weather roof for more than a few days, and overlays in general are to be avoided, for lots of reasons.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Depends on where you live. I'm in NY & just finished up a bundle that I'd left on the garage roof in Nov 2002.

South facing roof- no shade- paper wrapped- 25 yr shingles. A couple that were just lying on the roof stuck where they weren't wanted-- but the bundle was intact & all the cellophane did its job. The shingles were even flexible enough to do the ridge cap with.

I think AEM is in TX-- probably a little warmer on his roof.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

So what is it you're concerned about?