computer Surge Suppressor-protector question

Yes, my sister works out of her home most of the time and logs on to the server at work. I can send her private email on that line but it will not allow any download from anywhere other than the server. She can surf the web, but all file downloads, updates, windows updates, virus updates... everything has to come through the server at work.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

"Local" doesn't always mean what it sounds like. I don't know about your setup but my internet and millions of others go *through* the LAN. Click on settings, network connections and you should see a path going to your internet service.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Rou misread me, or I misread you. It is only the REMOVING of the mail on one that the other does not know about.

You can set the length of time the mail remains o the server from one or two days to forever

Reply to
clare

If you are on the internet your LAN can be an extention of the WAN , or internet, and under some conditions can be reached from outside (if you open up the router, for instance)

Reply to
clare

There have been occasions when I had to kook up a service entrance to a drop and I use a special insulation piercing connector that takes a wrench to install. I would cut the drop loose, swap the meter can for a fused safety switch or big breaker in the range that matches the amp rating of the wire then reconnect the drop with the Blackburn taps.

I've worked 15kv underground service cable taps and splices to hook up transformers. Little old 240 volt service doesn't scare me but I treat power cables like like they are energized at all times. It's good practice to always treat electrical power with respect. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yes, they got pretty mad at me in sci.electronics.repair when I suggested that I would repair my whole-house suppressover if the MOVs blew.

My theory was that would justify my buying an expensive one, if I knew I coudl keep it running, but they didnt' like that and no one defended my position.

Reply to
mm

Computers. Too complicated for me.

Maybe I'll just send a letter home adn see if that starts the email download.

Reply to
mm

At my old house I saw them working on the underground cables at a big box thing with a lid down by the road. The cables were lying in water! I think it was high voltage because the cable ran 250 feet to my propety line to an above ground transformer and then to my house. (Had it marked for digging purposes.) They were moving the cables around with a long fiberglass? pole. Turned out they couldn't find the short and backtracked and replaced the insulator on the pole a few hundred feet up the road were the fuse blew. It always seemed odd that there were above ground lines except for me and 4 other houses. There was a high tension line above the area and I wondered if that had something to do with our services being underground?

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Think induction, high voltage burial cable has a coaxial shield.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

All underground wiring is considered a wet location because they always accumulate water eventually. Underground vaults tend to be swimming pools unless you live in the desert.

Reply to
gfretwell

The disconnects, specifically in surge suppressors (not 'equipment'), are to prevent the suppressor from being a fire hazard. The disconnects are likely near the MOVs to respond at least partly to MOV heat. A normal fuse may work. But the whole thing, in a competent design, provides overheating protection while not disconnecting until the MOVs are failing. It is an engineered product.

I used to use a homemade plug-in surge suppressor. It included a fuse. I decided it was not as safe as I wanted.

For best device life you want the surge shared by the parallel MOVs. Since MOVs are not precision devices that is not likely to happen unless the MOVs are matched, as from the same batch. If one MOV takes most of the surge hit (likely in a random pairing) you may not get much advantage from the second MOV. The first MOV can die (shorted) while the second MOV has much of its life left. It is basic electronics.

UL does not intend for them to be daisy chained. You are not likely to find a manufacturer that would say it is OK (and it is probably explicitly prohibited in the manufacturer instructions).

As above, daisy chaining does not necessarily work the way you expect.

You can get plug-in suppressors with high ratings for not much money. I don't really see a reason to take chances on compromising surge protection or fire protection.

Reply to
bud--