comments on Toro Power Shovel?

I haven't noticed that- my 3hp Toro has rubber flaps and I think they clean down to the pavement better the plastic that is on the electric. I don't tolerate any ice because my driveway is a pretty steep incline.

[come to think of it- I just replaced the flaps and scraper last week, and the flaps don't come within an inch of the surface so I don't see how they can polish anything.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

-snip-

Not just further- the single stage blowers will throw and re-throw snow if you have to move it really far. I have to throw straight ahead to do my turnaround of two car lengths. Some of that snow probably goes through the chute 3 times, but it throws it just as far at the end as at the beginning.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Thanks for advice, I'll skip the power shovel. We really haven't had much snow here the past two winters, maybe only a couple days each winter where I've had to go out a few times in the course of a day to keep things clear. I'll stick with the trusty hand shovels for now, and rely on various retired neighbor men to come by with their machines when it's bad. I came out with the shovel a few times last winter, only to find the end of the driveway already cleared, as well as paths from one house to the next for the kids and the mail carrier. When we eventually enlarge the driveway, we'll factor in the cost of a snow thrower.

Thanks guys,

Karen

Reply to
KLE

Chuckle. This will be my third winter in this house, after living in apartments for 20-some years. I have a couple retired 'more power' type neighbor guys who simply LIVE for the days they have an excuse to drag their toys out and play with them- tractors, wheel-mounted leaf blowers, self-propelled snow blowers, etc. Last few winters have been real mild (knock on plastic wood), but a few times I came out and found the streetside bergs and mailbox approaches cleared. Doesn't happen so much anymore since they realized it was a guy living here, and not some old widow lady (usually the case when a single lives in a subdivision, since the husband usually croaks first.) A win-win, AFAIAC. They feel useful, the neighborhood gets the benefit.

Most of the time, I use my leaf blower to clear the snow. Sounds absurd, but unless it is real wet snow, or I let it get too deep, works pretty well. If not, then I have to use a shovel. I suppose I ought to buy a blower, but only good storage is way out back in the shed, and it would be a pain to fetch from there.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

My Dad got a snow blower from Titus Mower, and he's been very pleased with it. He did get a Honda. Aparently very dependable machine.

Mine is an old Toro that's third hand. I got it used, from a guy who got it used. It has a plug in electric start, which is really handy for the first run of the year when it's balky to start. The Toro is 3 HP, and takes gas oil mix. Reminds me, I've got to go buy some new gasoline. The gas mix I've been using is probably a couple months old.

An electric snow blower is much cheaper, and if you're OK with dragging a cord around, you'll be fine. As with most things, the cheapest one seldom does the job. The medium price one is fine, and the expensive one is for when you retire, and have some money to work with.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, the "folded over" snow from the snow plow, that's about 90% of the work of moving snow. I also usually have to take it about 6 inch wide cuts. It also helps to pull back the snow blower as needed, let the engine get back to full speed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon