coffee grinds

I don't put anything down the drain I didn't eat first. And I don't put anything in the recycling that isn't recyclable. And I don't even _have_ a trash bucket (for reasons above).

The coffee grinds go outside but I don't have a good system yet. What system do you use to get rid of coffee grinds outside?

Sounds simple but there are gotchas.

I use a French Press method so that's one limitation I have. If I throw the grinds out right away, they're too hot for plants. I could find a spot that is only soil but most spots have plants. Plus digging up and maintaining a soil spot is more work than I like. Besides, if I pull the press out when hot, the metal bands have expanded. That makes it a PITA since the glass cup comes out of the hot metal bands. Yet if I rinse the handheld French Press, it drips water on the carpet. Unless I'm super careful not to rinse such that water gets under the bands. If I let it sit until it cools, I still have to rinse it out first. And then I still have the water dripping on the carpet problem as I move it. Leaving it for hours solves the problem of the hot water & band expansion. But, when someone next uses it, _they_ have to clean out the mess first. I could put it with the kitchen scraps bin but grinds are a wet mess. So I don't need to keep my kitchen scraps bin mostly dry'ish stuff. I can put _another_ bucket next to the kitchen scraps bucket though. Which is the best I can come up with, so far, but that sucks too.

Do you have a better system for recycling used coffee grinds?

Reply to
Gronk

Toss them on the neighbor's lawn Bag them and take them to work with you to trash If you take the bus, wrap them nicely and someone will steal them. Mix with epoxy and mold them into lightweight bricks. Put them in a gift bag and leave them in your car Blend them with fruit for a coffee smoothie. Especially good to spread around evergreen plants, blueberry bushes.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"But, when someone next uses it, _they_ have to clean out the mess first." Bingo.

Reply to
Thomas

They are fantastic additions to compost piles.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Start a grass roots movement to convince your local government that coffee shops should have to accept used coffee grounds just like automobile establishments have to accept used oil.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Isnt' the cofee chemical originaly a DDT insecticide on the original plant?

Reply to
allen

I use Keurig K-cups. No muss, no fuss.

Reply to
Randy Patzkowski

I use a 5 cup Mr Coffee AD machine . I dump the used grounds and paper filter into an empty ice cream bucket . When it's full I take it outside and add it to my compost heap . No muss , no fuss .

Reply to
Snag

So, you don't like coffee. Convenient, but not good.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

True, the very best coffee is roasted at home and ground and used within a week or so.

I don't have the patience for that so K-cups direct from Barrie House are a pretty close second.

Reply to
Randy Patzkowski

Well , I don't roast my own , but I do mix a medium and a dark roast to get the flavor profile I like . And grind it literally seconds before brewing .

Reply to
Snag

No muss, no fuss, no good coffee. Priceless.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson