cleaning mold...

Although I don't want clean mold, I want gone mold ;)

I've got a patch on one of the concrete basement walls that I want to get rid of, prior to painting the wall with moisture-sealer. A professional cleaning company at my wife's work said that bleach isn't so good though, and that Dawn is far more effective - is there any truth to that? My natural instinct would have been to use a bleach solution...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Jules Richardson wrote the following:

power washer with detergent

Reply to
willshak

Mold or algae? Bleach should kill it dead enough. Detergent will wash it away. Neither are a long-term solution.

Reply to
keith

Dawn soap with out a little bleach won't kill mold spores. If you use a little dawn with the bleach and water the soap help it stick to the surface.

Reply to
Airport Shuttle

Yeah, that was my thinking too. I wish I knew why these guys said Dawn was better. Maybe it's some crappy health and safety thing and they're worried about using bleach in confined spaces, so the Dawn does a worse job but is less risky in their eyes...

Yeah, the sealer/paint I was looking at the other day contained something to help prevent mold re-growth, but it didn't say anything about whether it could be applied straight on top of existing mold ;-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

No you need Bleach to kill is, Bleach removes the plants oxygen, detergent cleans up after

Reply to
ransley

bleach doesn't remove the oxygen. the chlorine oxidizes the proteins it is made of, causing it to die.

Reply to
chaniarts

A couple of yr ago, the home inspector found mold in a house I was selling. ("Real" mold, like the kind I had to hire a mold remediator for and then get another set of tests run to verify it had been removed). The company used this stuff:

. It's basically peroxide and bubbled the mold out from the walls (in my case wood, so I don't know if concrete makes a diff). Then they could vacuum it off.

Reply to
Lee B