Cheap Mangled Doorknob Hosed Up

Hi,

I'm trying to remove a doorknob from a * closed * door. The doorknob is a very basic brass colored noname knob. It has no keyhole and no lock. Just a knob which used to open the latch. The knob got harder and harder to use, then one day it refused to open the latch at all. So I am trying to remove it so I can install a new knob, or maybe just leave the hole there. It is a utility closet door.

I have removed the 2 screws from the accessible side of the knob. The other half of the knob, on the other side, is still in place, but I can push it back and let it fall down behind the door inside the closet, and see what I can then do with the latch which will remain in the door and the jamb (wood into which the latch juts) .

I've tried the "credit card" trick and it doesn't work.

Removing the hinges looks like it won't work either.

The plastic part on the latch is broken, so there's no need to save anything. I'll be tossing the knob.

If I push the other half of the knob away, can I then just wiggle the latch out from the jamb? I know, why not just try it? But maybe it's necessary to keep the other half of the doorknob intact to get the latch to retract ????

Thanks

Reply to
Noveau67

When you have the knob off you should be able to see a square hole that the doorknob's shaft goes through. Usually this hole is plastic so I'm not sure if this is the plastic part that you refer to that is broken. Anyway, shove a large screwdriver into that hole and rotate it to draw the latch back out of the catch. If it's too stiff and won't turn, spray anything that moves with a penetrating oil like 3-in-1, a jiggle to get the slightest movement to move the parts a little and then, let it sit for an hour. If it still won't turn, repeat the process. If it still won't budge get a bigger bar in the hole. If you can't find one just get a pipe wrench on the shaft of the screwdrive - maybe have someone pushing on the screwdrive so that it won't jump out of the hole. Still nothing? I'm out of suggestions. You should get one that works from someone else on the board who has more between the ears than I do. Good luck ;-) Chuck

Reply to
C & E

Door opens inward or outward?

If outward, ( towards you) you should be able to see the bolt. If you can see the bolt, you can reach if with a reciprocating saw!

Actually, if the bolt has a "feeler" on it, a half-round smaller pin that senses when the door is closed and locks the bolt in place, you could saw or bend that "feeler" to allow the bolt to move.

A hole saw the same diameter of the existing hole - and made for metal - could be used to eviscerate all the innard's working parts.

As a last resort, take comfort that interior doors don't cost much.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

More info : Yes, the door opens towards me. I can see a semicircular shaft poking straight out from what remains of the knob. The plastic part which used to be on the left of the shaft is gone (broke off). I can see some metal inside the right half of this plastic piece. I'm thinking I can push on the metal with a screwdriver and get the latch to retract. Hard to figure out how this thing works.

I'm afraid to spray any lube on it yet, since that would make it harder to get a grip on anything.

Every time I try something, something else breaks off !

Since I can actually see the inside of this plastic part, should I not be able to manipulate the latch mechanism somehow to get it to retract ?

Thanks

Reply to
Noveau67

I would think you could use the screwdriver to pull back the latch from the inside after removing the knobs.

Reply to
Frank

Can't you just knock the pins out of the hinges and then remove the door that way, then just remove the whole latch assembly and replace?

I agree that you ought to be able to push the shaft through to the other side and then manipulate the latch through the door knob hole to allow the door to open, but if all else fails the above should be plan B.

good luck

nate

Reply to
N8N

With the knobs off, use a screwdriver and/or pliers to pry the guts out of the latch.

Be sure to pry in such a way as you only trash the latch without busting up the door. Once the guts of the latch come out the door will open and then you can remove the latch and replace it.

Your local locksmith will probably have replacement latches available.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

N8N, I haven't actually tried it yet, but it looks like part A of the hinge is going to get in the way of part B after I get the pin out. But, haven't tried it yet !

Reply to
Noveau67

I should add that the latch is springloaded, keeping it extended. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Noveau67

I realize it is spring loaded, but it will not be when you remove the spring from the backside.

The cause of this problem is that the internal parts in the latch break, (Usually due to improper installation, causing undue stress on things.) and jam up.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

You won't know if you don't try. If it doesn't work you just put the pins back in.

Reply to
C & E

Update . I got the latch out. I inadvertently ended up using the Roger Shoaf method (thanks, RS) since every time I tried to finesse the latch out, another part of the latch self-destructed. Yes, the spring eventually appeared, and I removed it, and yes, I was able to pull the latch out with a needle nosed pliers.

Also, I removed the the hinge pins, and no, the door would not come off the hinges.

But yes, I got the latch out ! Yay. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Noveau67