Those annoying drippy Price pfister lav faucets

Hi All,

Okay, I give up. Other than replacing them, is there a way to those stinkin', generic, contractor Price Pfister lavatory faucets to stop dripping?

I have replaced the gasket, replaced the gasket and seat, replaced the whole cartridge and seat. Works for about a month, then the hot water starts dripping again.

It seems to be the gaskets fault when I look. The seats are always nice an polished. (And, no I am not man handling the knobs when I turn them off!)

Is there some special gasket (that actually works) that I should be using? Any other ideas?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

I had a similar problem with Delta. How is your water quality? When I added a whole house sediment filter, changing faucet seals went from twice a year to once every 20 years. The fine crap in the water was killing them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If it's only the hot water tap, then obviously your water is contributing to the problem.

That's mot to say that PP shouldn't have components more resistant to acid, sediment, alkali, or metal-eating bacteria, but there's something on your end that's not normal.

You can test your water yourself for pH (negative logarithm of the Hydrogen-ion concentration, i.e., acid/base) or submit a water sample to some water-testing outfit in your vicinity.

The company itself may have "industrial grade" innards available.

Reply to
HeyBub

Remove faucet set. Place in brass recycling container for your next trip to the dropoff. Install Kohler faucet set (preferred), others may be nearly equal. Problem solved.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I use the GOOD Price Pfister units with the ceramic cartridges. No washers. No drips, and unlike many others, the limit blocks are on the top, not the bottom of the cartridge so the closing torque does not go through the cartridge assembly at all. They are the ONLY taps I have not had trouble with, and are all I will use now. Not sure if you can get the good ones at the "borg" or not - I buy mine from either a plumbing supply or the local hardware store.

And our water here in Waterloo Region is AGRESSIVE.

Reply to
clare

I had to look on Lowes site to find what you might call 'contractor grade' Price Pfister lav faucets, but even their $25 specials have the lifetime functionality guarantee. Send an email to their customer service and tell them what's going on.

I've read the replies below, but for my money, Price-Pfister is THE superior brand for faucets. This old house (1965) has PF faucets and shower assemblies in both bathrooms and they're working fine. Our only water problem (well water) is lime, but that manifests in cosmetic ways. We've been here 25 years without a drip that I couldn't fix.

This year, the kitchen faucet went south (American Standard, but the most-used faucet in the house) and I replaced with a PF. No history there, of course, but we're pleased with the looks. I only wish they'd reverse the low-flow laws on kitchen faucets. They're not water wasters like shower heads, and I'm getting too old to wait for pots to fill so I can start the corned beef the same day.

Keith

I bought a price Fis kitchen faucet 15 years ago and it had a lifetime guarantee. They have replaced the innards once and the spout once (it was developing little corrosion spots) for just a small shipping charge, no questions asked.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Hi All,

Thank you for the tips. I have "genuine" valves and seals (come in the kit) coming from Price Pfister. If that does not work ....

-T

Reply to
Todd

What is the water pressure in your house?

Reply to
George

Haven't measured it, but between 45 and 55 lbs depending on when the neighbors use their sprinklers. Best guess

Reply to
Todd