Charge for tree removal offset by value of wood ?

You and your grandaddy are right on. I agree with you 100%.

Sounds like a fun and exciting project and the danger and risk of it falling on the house makes it even more exciting!

I'd climb the tree and start cutting off inside limbs first. Try to make the tree balanced on the side opposite the house. Then put a couple of cables on the tree to hold it off the house. And finally just make some of those wedge cuts so the tree falls away from the house.

Reply to
JimL

Woodworkers usually want dry, aged wood. This minimizes splitting and twisting.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Why not get yourself a chainsaw for $500 and cut the tree down yourself? Thats what I did this spring when a thunder storm dropped one of my trees on a neighbors fence and I had to cut two other dead ones. Don't be intimidated by the size of the tree and it's proximity to the house. Get a ladder and tie a rope high in the tree and have someone hold the rope while you cut the tree. My wife was amazed watching me drop those trees away from our house.

There's an informative web site sponsored by the OSHA division of the United States government which shows you how to safely "notch and fell a tree".

Before attempting the removal of the trees in my yard, I have probably cut down 50 or more trees in forest areas for fire wood in years past. I do have some experience felling trees so my confidence level was pretty high before I attempted the job. Come to think of it, I have been injured several times cutting trees over the years, once pulled the chainsaw into my kneecap while cutting a stump and another time stretched or snapped something in my knee trying to hold back a four ton tree with my rope. I guess most people would say I am an experienced amateur tree cutter. It can be very dangerous work if you don't understand the dynamics of cutting trees. I usually have to get my education the hard way!

Regards, Bill

Reply to
Bill

What do you call the tree-climbing gadgets that strap to the inside of your legs and have sharp barbs? Can these be rented? Where can they be purchased?

Reply to
William W. Plummer

So you therfore think it is safe for a rank amature to fell a 40 foot tree 8 feet from his house?

This is some of the scariest advice I have ever seen. I too have sfelled some trees and own a chainsaw and I'm fairly competant, but I'd not attempt it on my own house.

No shit, and this is not the tree to learn on.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

well...as my Grand Daddy always told me...poor folks has to have poor ways and do the best they can!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

The trouble is, the direction the tree FALLS isn't what's going to do the damage. It's fairly easy to control where the TOP of the tree goes. THe problem is, when the tree hits the ground, slams down on those branches, and then springs back, it's may decide to drive the butt right through the side of the house. And if you've got a tow-chain attached to your car to keep it from doing that, it will rip your car in half in the process. THEN the tree will roll, at which point it will wind up one of your two upper guy-lines, which will snap, at which point the end of the guy-line will pass through your dog at about mach 1.7.

Reply to
Goedjn

LOL. You guys are funny. We gotta film this and send it in to Americas Funniest Video.

Reply to
JimL

it ain't Rocket Science Jim! I can cut pretty near any tree that is standing near a house...the problem is that as it's coming down it may create some "uncontroled demolition" that I don't want to deal with...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

proximity

probably

pulled

Climbing irons or gaffs. Doubt if a rental outfit would handle them due to the danger of amateur useage. You also need a climbing belt to use them.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yeah. The OP better not live in Santa Barbara county. Chop down an oak tree here and it's a capital offense. They also come after your first-born child, your dog and sometimes even your neighbors.

No kidding. We have an actual "Oak Removal Ordinance." For every live oak you remove, you have to replant 10.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner