Please help (Basement Problem)

Suggest fiberglas all interior surfaces, including the floor.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Just call the local health department and explain the situation just as you described it above, that should take care of the situation and you won't be seeing water in your present living quarters at all ever again.

Good luck!

Reply to
Rich

consider dating sponge bob

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Hello,

I rent basement space for living quarters together with my four children. There are three other families which rent other areas of the basement, and all of us share the same problem.

The landlord refuses to fix the water problem. Everytime it rains, the basement gets as much as four inches of water down here. We are concerned about getting shocked from the appliances or from our fans which we run to keep the air circulating.

Could some kind soul give advice how we could seal the walls to keep the water out? Is there any suggestion for something we can do outside? One of the families suggested putting plastic on the block wall outside, which is above ground. This is a very old home, so I can kind of see the landlords refusal to fix this.

Thank you.

Reply to
Katrina

Yeah, just get some saran wrap and seal up around the outside. Be sure to seal any holes or windows too. Duct tape applies at the seams and joints will also help. Spray the exposed exterior with a coat of silicone spray.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

First the fix depends on the problem. Most of the time the fix does not mean sealing walls to keep the water out, rather it means keeping the water away from the walls to start with. That means re-grading the soil and redirecting drain water.

However this is not your property and you may well not have the authority to fix it anyway. What you do have is the right to demand that it be fixed. Contact your local health department, who may take the case for you or investigate rental rights groups in your area. Many local areas have government run rental rights agencies to take care of this kind of problem.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Grade the outside away from the outside of the house so that water does not pool against the walls. I have used Drylock and Seal Crete to seal concrete block and brick walls. Drylock must be brushed on. SealCrete can be sprayrd on with a garden sprayer. Both require at least two coats. But stopping the water from sitting against the foundation walls is the best fix.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch

It amazes me how many people get sucked in by an obvious troll! LOL

Reply to
trader4

Did you sign a lease? I'd contact a lawyer. Have the lawyer write him a letter threatening legal action, including reimbursement of paid rent for the period in which there was water.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

My troll meter reads high, but just in case.

It can be fixed with 5 words.

Call your code enforcement office.

Colbyt

Reply to