Chain Saw Oil Question

It does? I thought it was between the crankshaft and the various bearings, put there under pressure from the oil pump. No significant amount of oil will just stick to the crankshaft, and even if it did, what would be the point? To oil it where it has no friction?

Reply to
Tony

I was surprised today. Neighbor asked me to help him set up and run his new chainsaw - a Woodshark. Showed him the ins and outs of installing the chain, how to start, etc. etc. then we found it would die everytime you let off the trigger. Fooled with that, couldn't get it to idle, then noticed the chain brake was broken on one side. "Take it back, get your money, then buy a real saw" Put it in the box, grabbed my saw and did the little bit of work he had to do. Looked in box and there was a pool of oil in it already.

So, even a new saw can leak ... of course I don't classify a Poulan POS as being a saw.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

All my saws leak a bit.

Reply to
ransley

chain when

The trouble with all you text book mechanics is that used motor oil has been used for decades by lumberjacks without any problems. These mystic beliefs propogated by the sellers of "Special" stuff suck you in.

Reply to
LSMFT

I have never bought chainsaw oil. First time my first saw needed it I was in a jamb so I used gear oil. Since that I always used drain oil. If I get some drain gear oil, I mix it with the used engine oil to make it a little thicker. The plastic case the saw is stored in was full of oil when I bought the thing (it was a return sold half price) and that was real chain oil. I just put a rag in the bottom and now and then change the rag. The greasy rag normally goes in a trash fire, smokes like hell but they say the air is easier to clean then the groundwater.

Reply to
Tony