chain saw chaines

I have several chain saw chains made by Oregon. Some say made in Canada, some assembled in China with US parts, and some made in US. Really hard to tell if any one might be better than the other or which one you are getting if ordered on line where you can not read the package.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Open package, mount chain on saw, cut a few logs; repeat for each chain.

See which one does best.

Problem solved ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Problem is that if I find one that cuts better how would I know that I could get another just like it as I could not read the fine print of the package if I order them on line. The packages look the same except for very fine print telling where it was made.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Sorry, I read your OP too quickly :-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I have two packages thart identical as far as I can tell except on the back in very small print one says made in USA, the other one as asymbled in China from parts made n USA or Brazil. It is almost hard to concieve how parts for a chain saw chain could be shipped to china, put together and shipped back for an item of about $ 20 or less. The different package says made in Canada.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Chances are that the differences - if any- are so minuscule that you'll never notice . If your chains are branded by the saw manufacturer , they set the standards , not the actual producer . I have never bothered to check the origin of the Stihl chains I use , I'm more concerned that I get the pro chains rather than the low-kickback chains . The low kick chains just don't cut as well IMO . But then I'm not a homeowner trimmin' branches , I'm cutting 4 to 6 cords a year to heat our house .

Reply to
Snag

I only started using a chain saw about 15 years ago and may have cut the equal of 2 or 3 cords at the most in that whole time.I doubt that I would notice a good chain from one not so good. Just had a Polun up to last year when I bought an Echo that is very much better. The Echo had an Oregon chain made in Canada with it. The chains are the low kick back kind which is probably what I need for my safety. If I cut as much as you I would want a good cutting saw and chain.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I actually have 4 chainsaws ... and I manage to keep at least 3 in running order . Right now it's 2 old Homelite Super 2's with 14" bars and a newish Stihl MS250 with an 18" bar . The other Stihl 025 has a vacuum leak , probably a crank seal but I haven't had time to work on it . Between G-kids visiting , garden , and car problems it's been pretty busy here . I always take at least 2 saws when I go out , and carry extra chains as well as tools and fuel and bar oil .

Reply to
Snag

Always a good idea to carry extra stuff when you go off at any distance. I do have 3 chain saws. When I first moved to a house that had a wood stove and some woods around the house my wife bought me a 14 inch Poulan and several years later I bought a 18 inch Poulan. Not long ago I bought a 16 inch Echo. It sure cuts and runs better than the Poulans. I do not cut much wood to burn, but when I left the house I took both saws and gas and bar oil. I have had to replace the fuel lines on the Poulans.

If I cut as much as you do I would go with the Stihl or maybe a high end Echo instead of the home owner grade saws.

With a heat pump my total electric bill only runs from around $ 150 to $ 200 a month. So It is not worth about $ 50 a month for me to cut wood and mess with the wood stove. Only use it if the power goes out or on Thanksgiving and Christmas in the fire place for about half a day with the family over. It has been so warm here ( middle of North Carolina) that in 15 years I have only had 5 or 6 fires in the fire place. Power has not gone out long enough for the house to get very cold.

I have used the saws here to clear out some of the woods for a path for the lawn tractor and wagon . Twice some large tree branches fell across the driveway and the saws came in handy.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I've seen coat-check rooms at nice restaurants with chain saws on hangers. :-)

I had two small chain saws, both bought cheap at yard sales. One needed a plastic case part that I bought from the maker, but it still didn't cut. I looked into sharpening the chain or buying a new one, and finally I realized the chain was on backwards.

The other's wiring was messed up. I fixed it 10 years ago and when the first one was giving me trouble, I finally used it. It wouldn't cut. I assumed I tested it when I first fixed it, like I should have, but it turns out, its chain was on backwards too.

Like Covid, there must be lot of that going around.

Reply to
micky