Tire gauge no longer holds reading. SOLVED

My fancy round tire gauge**, with big rubber bumper, that I paid a full $17 for on Amazon only 2 years ago, only used 5 or 10 times, stopped holding its reading. Darn. But googling found a 3 minute video*** that said how to easily fix it.

**
***
very first hit. A different brand but it looks just like mine, outside and in. In short, take it apart carefully, hold the relief button down, and blow into it. If need be, a [small, imo] drop of oil on the relief button shaft.

First time I did this, it sort of held the reading. That is, for a second or two and then it started going down. After the second time it seems to hold it for a minute or two. Maybe longer but there's no reason I need longer.

The gauge is guaranteed for 10 years, it turns out, Says so in the Amazon ad itself.

Reply to
micky

40% off right now.
Reply to
Thomas

Get yourself a good quality pencil-style mechanical gauge. No batteries to weaken, die, leak, corrode, or circuit boards to go bad, etc.

They last forever. I've got one I got as a teenager in the 1950's!!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

The one above doesn't use batteries or have circuit boards, And it's easier to read than a pencil-style. I'm surprised it caused any trouble, but maybe it wont' anymore.

There was supposed to be a pencil-style in the car, in the console. Maybe it's in the trunk somewhere. I went to Wawa and bought a cheap one. It's amazing how small the auto supply section is at WaWa, maybe 3 feet wide and 3 feet top to bottom, including the oil! But they have fruit, salads, sandwiches, candy, and bathrooms!

Reply to
micky

Stop taking your car tire pressures the old-fashioned way. You can wirelessly, accurately and quickly read your TPMS tire pressures with a TPMS sensor reader.

Foxwell T1000 TPMS Sensor ($84) -

No loss of air from fiddling with tire valves

- Can notify when TPMS battery is running out

(tire pressure reading starts at 00:06:00)

Reply to
kelown

Haven't watched the video yet, but this certainly sounds better than the old way. $84 is only 5 times what I paid for my fancy round one, and I certainly have the money if I cut down on my food for the next couple months.

Reply to
micky

TPMS sensors can do more than tire pressure.

  • TPMS sensor modules make up for their cost by allowing you to determine which TPMS sensor is faulty so that you don't have to replace all 4 when one goes bad.
  • Can save money by using off-the-shelf pre-programmed TPMS sensors.
  • RF Remote Keyless Entry (Key FOB) tester
  • Prints TPMS Health Report Including Sensor ID, Tire Pressure, TPMS Temperature, TPMS Battery Condition
Reply to
kelown