Ceramic tiles - best way to take about 1/4" off?

Question says it all really - looking for ideas from pros or anyone with considerably more experience than me!

Reply to
Mad Mac

trick question?

wet diamond blade saw avail hd lws $50+/-? or rent one

bill

Reply to
mcameron

Reply to
NokNokMan

Are the tiles already in place?...or are you installing them?

Have a nice Labor Day weekend...

Trent

Trent©

That's what I thought too.

If you don't

Also along the lines I was thinking. Thanks to all who replied.

Reply to
Mad Mac

I've had fairly good results scoring the tile then gently clamping the smaller part ( 1/4 inch in your case ) in my bench vise and giving the larger part a sharp blow with my palm. Often it breaks cleanly all the way across, but occasionally needs to be repositioned in the vise and given a clean-up whack to break off any pieces that missed the first attempt. If there are still some jagged edges remaining they get a few passes across my bench grinder. Good luck Clint

Reply to
PAROADHOG

If you have a small right angle grinder, and need to cut a few tiles, Lowe's carries diamond tile blades. Use the link below if it didn't cut off, or go to

and do a search for diamond, then click on saw blades.

Reply to
Frank K.

I had a situation like that at my old house. I had installed ceramic wall tiles and decided later to put some wood trim around the border but wanted the trim to align with the counter top. I had to trim about a quarter inch off the tiles. I got a Dewalt DW660 cut-out tool with a ceramic bit. Sucker is strong. You need to hot-melt glue a straight edge to the ceramic if you want a clean straight cut. I free-handed my cut because I was putting trim around the tile.

If the tiles are not yet installed you might try hot-melt gluing the tiles to a piece of plywood, laying a straight edge and trimming them that way with the cut-out tool.

Reply to
Stoic

Rent (or purchase) a small wet saw. If you only have a few tiles, Home Depot makes tile cuts on a wet saw in the store.

Dean

Reply to
Dean