Central Air v. Window-unit Air?

Sticking to the question and ignoring my personal opinions: This would take an electrical engineer doing calculations to get an accurate answer. There are many variables, the most important of which is the size of the house in question. The answer would be different for an 1800 sq ft ranch than it would be for a 4000 sq ft, 2 story house. A typical central air compressor runs on a 30 amp circuit, a typical window unit on a 15 amp. The majority of the electricity used occurs when either unit kicks on. So in either case if the units run longer and start up less often the efficiencies rise. Poorly sized central units "short cycle" and that condition greatly decreases the cost efficiency. Same is true of the window units. A larger house would require two or more compressors. In addition, central air systems require an air handler. Once again, the answer will be different if the house already has hot air heat and the A/C coil is just going to be added to it rather than a new, separate air handle installed just for the A/C. Air handlers typically run on a 15 amp circuit. Once again, one or two depending on the size of the house. So every time the central unit kicks on you've got juice running the compressors and the air handlers with the total draw being a complex calculation of the total wattage required, the initial startup surge, and the steady run-time usage. The window units do the same, but the combined wattage would need to meet or exceed the central unit to use the same amount of juice. You buy central air for convenience, comfort, and prestige. Forget about the payback. That comes when it's time to sell the house.

"Nehmo" wrote in message news:aIQIe.722$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com...

Reply to
BP

Just send him some....Turtle deals with f****rs too stupid to care who works on their shit, and Chris is perfect for f****ng them out of every damn dollar they make..

Chris and Terry are the reasons that the general public looks down on the HVAC biz as a whole....they dont know what they are doing, cant repair anything, and when they do, they have to ask what kind of freaking CLEANER to use, after making wild claims about being in the trade since they were SIX. Terrys dad should have been locked up due to child labor laws....or at least, for making such a stupid fucker in the first place.

Reply to
Carolina Breeze HVAC

Sounds about right. In the winter in NY here the one side of the house nearest the furnace blows out 120F while the other end of the house blows out 90F.

Reply to
FDR

I thought they were supposed to cool partly account of the refrigerant going through. Though, such a system might trap the heat in. I've seen compressor blankets, now. I bet those totlaly depend on refrigerant flow for cooling.

Wonder if the failure rate you saw was the warmer southern climate, or mabye someone before your time didn't do much coil cleaning?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm an EE. You got my calcs.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

NOW YOU TALKING MY LANGUAGE Dido siad that

Reply to
DiDo

I know you've got issues with Paul and a couple of the minions (doh!), but if you take up with Stormy who is a troll by way of being mentally incompetent, you stand to lose a lot of respect from people in the group I fear. You are judged by the company you keep Paul & others may be assholes but they are not deviants although I can't prove it. I don't know why that idiot bites my craw but he does and he is not contributing anything of value to this newsgroup (my opinion). In fact I believe, he will see the gates of hell long before Paul gets done telling Saint Peter to Blow Him... :)

Please don't encourage Stormy to post to this group. He needs to listen and learn allot more about HVAC before opening his mouth to give advice.

Again just my opinion, Joseph

Reply to
Joseph

This is Turtle.

If it was a crime of being a Asshole and lier. You surely would be in jail.

i8've got a question for you. Where do you get al this hate from for i have not seen anybody with better hatred than you is Paul. Now he has settled down , so I guess your the biggest Hatred Fellow around. Give me some more of that hatred for your good at it. Do you work for a living or just hate all day ?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Asshole, yes. Liar? No.

I dont hate you Terry..I feel real sorry that you are so f****ng stupid, and that you have customers that dont know any better.

Umm....think about it guy...I work. Im a working owner, meaning if I want to go to CA and play, I can..since I still own a home there. I also can send first year techs out that have more credibility and training than you do, and still make a living.

Reply to
Carolina Breeze HVAC

Maybe there really is no Carolina Breeze company? Maybe it's just some unhappy welfare guy posting on a computer, and piecing together a website from images stolen off the net.

There was a scam going in the Texas prisons some years ago about smuggling in postal money orders that they changed to make them read $700. BS some poor outsider, and then they would mail the money order to the outsider, who would cash it and put the money in the inmate's account. But the prisoner had to BS the outsider how much money he had, and how much acres, and how many employees. Maybe one of them got a computer? We supposed to be cashing money orders for Sea Weed?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This is Turtle.

I am impressed with your abilitys that you state above and it must be nice living on easy street as you say , BUT. I too am a small HVAC/R business owner for the last 20 years and 20 years before that I worked in the hvac/r field , which comes to over 40 years in the business. I'm now looking to retire at 55 years of age and enjoy life some before I go. I have done good in the HVAC/R business and it has treated me well. Now Education wise , I have a Voc Tech Degree [ Louisiana State Owned School ] T. H. Harris Voc Tech School in [ Non-Destructiable testing ] X-Ray of Metal and ultrasonic testing of metal flaws. Have 96 hours in Industrial management from Louisiana State University which i need 127 hour to finish. I run out of money and federal government had or was just getting started with loaning money to students and program had not got started yet in my area. So My education was just mininal at best. So this just about sume it up as to me.

Then a Rookie hvac Business owner comes along and call this person Fucking Stupid !

Then this Rookie hvac business owner says he is a Asshole. In the HVAC business if you get a Asshole working for you. You better get rid of him for he will loose a bunch of customers with his mouth. OH yea, in this part of the country a asshole and a low life are the same.

Then this Rookie hvac business owner expresses the most hatred that any man can express to another person over the internet . Then in the same conversation he says he feel sorry for this person ! In my part of the country this is called a lie , but your area of business or part of the country you can lie like this and not be called on it because it is commonly accepted to lie in your business.

Let me let you in on a little thing here. Steve your nothing more than a puffed up Ego with a problem with being nobody in the business world. I know i'm a nobody but you don't know your a nobody or will not accept you being a nobody. You can bost all you want but no one gives a rates ass as to you being a somebody.

So What I think is your just another computor Geek wanting to be somebody. Knock your self out.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Joseph , E-mail me and I can speak openly. I don't think I have your address . My addy on the group is good.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I bought a very high efficiency 11 EER 6000 btu window unit to supplement the central trane unit.

My summer time electric bill in Houston dropped from 410 to 247.

In Chicago, you would never cost justify a central unit over window units, but I'd still get one just for the convenience and comfort.

Reply to
Sherman

Maybe, you need to learn how to look it up... State website....and there are others that you can look it up and find out its real cocksucker.

Sorry...its amazing to think that you are that stupid. Particularly when some of the customers I have , have actually posted in here before. Have at it Chris....at least the TV spot we did on the local news wasnt us running out and crying to mommy that we cut ourselves trying to f*ck up a perfectly good refrig fan motor....hint hint....

Reply to
Carolina Breeze HVAC

Exciting is breaking 10 feet thick, multi-year ice with a steel ship hull in the Arctic.

Reply to
Noon-Air

....LOL...

Well, could be...I spose.....

But if it is, then man I GOTTA tell you he's REALLY got this 'fake hvac business illusion' thing down pat !!!

I mean....I call the phone number.......and I give the nice lady a good part number, some credit info and a shipping address....and then the part just kinda MAGICALLY ARRIVES here within just a few days.........

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

You didnt answer the question. I do. I met the design builder in Honolulu two months later.

So tell me what happened in this case. It was in alaska approx 1981. Smart remarks dont count, just an outcome and what would cause that outcome. Many people I talk to in this business know instantly what will happen in a case like that.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

Reply to