cellulose blown in attic

any tips to sealing the house form the attic before blowing cellulose into the attic?

have heard the first few months after installation, a house is particularly dusty...

Reply to
effi

This is Turtle.

I used Cellulose insulation in my attic about 5 years ago and have regreated it ever since. I never had a problem with dust in my house but after the cellulose was put in. It have been a nightmare eversince.

I would use other forms of insulation in the home. Fibre Glass or Rock Wool does fine without all the dust in the home.

Another ideal is Cellulose is ground up newspaper with a fire retartent put on it. After about 30+ years the fire retartent wears off and you have nothing but newspaper pilled up in the attic to start a fire with. Fibre Glass and Rock wool will still be good and fire resistant 100 years from now.

Cellulose is nothing but a big mistake !

Now other may have a different opinion on it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Not from me. I have some 20 year old cellulose dust in my attic. If anyone wants to see what they will have in 2120 I will mail them a handfull. All it really did was infiltrate the fiberglass and reduce it's effectiveness.

Reply to
Greg

Cellulose is crap, from crappy newspapers. It will also mold and shrink if a leak hits it making it innefective.

Turtle, check wallchases from the basement, around duct openings, behind grills, ceiling lights , wallsockets, outlets, etc etc. I got a bunch of foam and foamed these areas and it stopped the dust.

Reply to
m Ransley

This is Turtle.

I had to do that to keep from being dusted out in my home. I sealed everything up and still get some from somewhere.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Turn one the lights in the rooms below and turn off the attic light. You'll see the leaks and where to caulk. I insulated the attic with no dust problems, but I used batts.

Reply to
Phisherman

Turtle you know Hvac better than anyone here , cant a blower door test or a duct test determine where you leak dust? I found it was my ceiling electric boxes as well as wall switch and outlets. I used about

40lb of foam to surrond these as well as removing grills and getting the ducts. Could your roof venting be inadequate or you have negative pressure sucking the attic air down? An interesting way I found leaks is I put Moth balls in the attic to get rid of Bats and Flying Squirrels, When I ran the AC I found areas the Mott ball smell was comming in and sealed those closet areas.
Reply to
m Ransley

Turtle you know Hvac better than anyone here , cant a blower door test or a duct test determine where you leak dust? I found it was my ceiling electric boxes as well as wall switch and outlets. I used about

40lb of foam to surrond these as well as removing grills and getting the ducts. Could your roof venting be inadequate or you have negative pressure sucking the attic air down? An interesting way I found leaks is I put Moth balls in the attic to get rid of Bats and Flying Squirrels, When I ran the AC I found areas the Mott ball smell was comming in and sealed those closet areas.
Reply to
m Ransley

This is Turtle.

Yes a blower door test would show all the leaks but Do i want to spend $3K to $6K stopping up leaks so i can use a cheap insulation that will break down which is suppose to be replaced in 22 years and give off dust fibres for the rest of my life. I will have to spend $3K+ to use or save about $300.00 on the cost of the insulation and in 25 or so years have to replace the insulation because the fire retardent will wear off and become a fire hazard. When it wears off you have about 500 pounds of ground up newspapers in attic to set fire to it. The fire retardent is only good for so many years and then the newspaper becomes a fire harzard or fire waiting to start. Fibre glass or rock wool never wears out and becomes a fire hazard.

I got educated when i put it in my house. A bought lesson sticks in your mine better than a tought lesson. One Bought lesson is enough for me.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE