Caution Using Kwikset Smart*Key

I've recently had to use these and if you re-key per instructions (using the tool) then you have a lock that will work with 2 different keys...you haven't changed the key. You have added another one that works the lock!

Funny since they advertise, "Don't change the lock...change the key?" Think of the X partner trying to keep the other out of the house/apt.

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Well, if you're actually trying for more security than "keeping honest people honest" you're not using Kwikset locks anyway.

So you've actually verified that it will still work with the key that it shipped with? I kind of suspected that that might be the case. I couldn't really imagine how it could work any other way - and also that the tumbler pins are probably awful fragile making it susceptible to just hammering a screwdriver in there and twisting really hard.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Bob-

I have four of these SmartKey lock sets. None of their original keys work after the lock sets were re-keyed. I just double-checked.

I wonder if you happened to get one that had the same key as the one you wanted to change to? Can you check the original key on a different lock that came with your preferred key?

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Fred, you are absolute correct...the numbers are the same! You're the man...and I'm not...

Reply to
Bob_Villa

The Wieser "re-keyable" lock CHANGES the key so the original does not work any more. It is a disk lock, not a tumbler lock - and can be troublesome. The secret is NEVER use a key that has lower protrusions at the end than at the root. Said differently, you don't want the key to taper towards the point.

There are apparently other resetable locks that have a master that does not change, and changeable "pass keys". I've never seen one or worked with one.

Reply to
clare

Reply to
bob haller

much better choice is a electronic touch pad lock, easy change of code, set a special one time code to let visitor like someone checkng on pets while your on vacation, never a lost key, impossible to lock yourself out...

batteries last over a year, common AA and lock warns you when battery is low....

best thing i have bought in years:)

Reply to
bob haller