Casement Window Repair Help

I have a casement window which needs a new crank. I have identified the crank and have a replacement. It is manufactured by Truth.

Before I do more damage then good, the window crank has a frame around it which needs to be removed to unscrew the old crank.

Can anyone explain the proper way to remove the frame section and tell me what should be used when putting it back. It seems to have a putty or sealant on the bottom edge.

I assume that if I break the seal it should come out, is that correct?

What is used to seal the frame when it goes back?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
anonymous

probably held in place by one screw on either side, and occasionally a small screw from the outside point in too.

the sealing was likely added to discourage rain water getting in.

dont worry just remove the old crank assembly

Reply to
hallerb

Your description is incomplete. Is it a wood or metal casement? If it's wood, and you're talking about the bottom window stop that is cut out to fit over the crank, then just score along whatever the gunk is with a razor knife. Work underneath the stop with a couple of putty knives working from opposite sides on the same end, pry up working your way towards the center. The stop is weaker, of course, where there's less wood, so don't try to pry it off from just one end. There's no need to put a sealant under the stop unless there's a big gap. Reattach it with some 3 penny nails (aka 3d nails).

RicodJour

Sorry about that. You are correct it is a wood frame. Your description is exactly what I was looking for. Do you know what type of "gunk" is on the stop? Should I be replacing it or just nail it down when I replace the crank?

Thanks,

Reply to
anonymous