Carpenter Ants...

Recommendations beyond the Agway crystals?

These guys are tough...

Guido

You really won't stop tyhem until you find the nest and kill the queen. Look around near the house. They love mulch.

Reply to
Greg

More than you wanted to know about carpenter ants...

Seth Goodman

Seriously...ANT B GONE .....This stuff stops them in their tracks, it's like they can smell it a mile away....they eat it and carry it (liquid form) to the queen and it kills the whole colony in 24 hrs. We've used it for years and I won't buy anything else. Red and white small bottle. Have used it three times this year...once with carpenter ants and a 35 year old maple tree, next was those tiny little brown ants in the cracks of our driveway and then lastly was red ant by the 100's in my garden. Now, you'll still find an ant here and there, but not in 100's.

Recommend this 110%

Reply to
Les Nessman

Any idea if it is sold in the NorthEast US?

Reply to
Joe Agro

We purchase it at Home Depot...I'd think the US ones would have it too....???

Reply to
Les Nessman

Here's a link to "their" recipe....I do know it contains the boric acid but I don't know the quantities.

Les Nessman

I searched HD US website and they don't have it. HD.ca does and the good news is it can be ordered on line.

You WON'T be disappointed.

Reply to
Les Nessman

What do you use for "grease" ants? The ones that are making me crazy don't care about sugar and that is what most of these boric acid baits use.

Reply to
Greg

Never heard of them...but "google is your friend"

:o) Good luck.

Reply to
Les Nessman

:) Recommendations beyond the Agway crystals? :) :) These guys are tough... You can find at a pest control supply house or over the web a product called Advance Carpenter Ant Bait. I have treated several nests not having any idea where the colony was located and by sprinkling out the granules the activity stops..it can take a couple of weeks. Another product is called Maxforce carpenter Ant Gel. I haven't used it myself but other exterminators swear it works as well as the Advance Bait. Those are the only two baits I hear working on a consistent basis, all others are pot luck if the bait will be accepted.

If you wanted to spend $100 bucks or so you could have a pro treat the perimeter of the home with Termidor and all ant activity around the home would be stopped for about a year.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Reply to
Lar

:) What do you use for "grease" ants? The ones that are making me crazy don't care :) about sugar and that is what most of these boric acid baits use.

Try the Combat baits. If you use the discs soak them in warm water for a second to moisten the attractant. The syrynge is easy enough to use too.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Reply to
Lar

No joy with them.

These ants are tree borne, little black guys and they will smother a piece of dog food in less than an hour but you can have a pile of sugar on the floor and they won't touch it. I am starting to think they live in the attic now that Charley wiped out all the nearby trees.

Reply to
Greg

You might want to try boric acid mixed with a little water and cake sugar. Works great on regular ants, as best I know I don't have carpenter ants so dunno if they go for it or not. It's cheap tho so worth a shot.

Nick..

Reply to
Nick

I've used the Maxforce Carpenter Ant Gel and it works great. However, I can only buy it over the web and it costs something like $24 a tube.

I recently found Combat Ant Killing Gel at Ace Hardware and Home Depot. Its ingredients are identical to Maxforce, it looks the same as Maxforce and it works just as well as Maxforce. It costs $4 a tube and I can buy it locally.

I haven't had much luck with the Advance bait. The ants just seem to pass it by. Unless other bugs eat the bait and then the ants eat the other dead bugs. But I've not seen any evidence of that happening.

dickm

Reply to
dicko

put boric acid on the dog food?

randy

Reply to
xrongor

:) I recently found Combat Ant Killing Gel at Ace Hardware and Home :) Depot. Its ingredients are identical to Maxforce, it looks the same as :) Maxforce and it works just as well as Maxforce. It costs $4 a tube and :) I can buy it locally.

Maxforce and Combat are made by the same people. Maxforce is for profesionals and Combat is for the public. The only difference is the attractancts. The combat products for ants and roaches can work well at times as long as they are accepted by the insect.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Reply to
Lar

Liquid ant bait from

worked well for me.