Capping an artesian well

Get a inflatable stiopper with air extension hose. Install it and inflate. Install a ball valve passing the hose and chain from the stopper through it while installing. Take care not to let pvc glue run down onthe stopper. Deflate and remove the stopper when the glue has dried. That's how a pro would do it.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Use a rubber coupling.

Also I think there's blue PVC cement for wet use. You could glue on a thread adapter. Don't screw on the cap or a valve until the glue sets.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Dry ice held to outside of pipe will stop it in seconds. Only a small piece needed.

I've done it to a main under city water pressure to repair the main shutoff.

Reply to
despen

Don't know. I did it on galvanized wrapped in lead. This was a 2 inch main gushing water at a pretty good rate.

Just checked, you're right PVC isn't very conductive at all.

My guess is that it would still work. You could stuff the dry ice directly into the water flow I suppose. I doesn't sound like this well is generating a lot of pressure. Just take a chunk and push it into the water flow.

My story is that I got a quote for 2.5K to repair the leaking valve. All of the cost was digging up the street. I already had a replacement valve.

My neighbor told me about this. 5 bucks worth of dry ice vs. a $2500 repair bill.

Reply to
despen

Certainly seems worth a shot considering I can get dry ice for free from my Peapod driver.

Good tip.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

You'll need to shut off the water flow with a temporary cap first, then it will probably work. Just freeze it from the outside (even though it's plastic pipe) and give it time to work.

Be careful not to break the pipe while it's frozen.

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob