Can I replace my own sewer pipe?

it tends to cost as much as a dig and replace fix, but does save landscaping and the utter mess of a new line digging.

my neighbor is getting a new sewer line currently yard is piles of dirt, excavator, a true mess very sad

Reply to
hallerb

oted text -

Question regarding rock salt and/or copper sulfate:

Since roots are getting into the line from some type of vegetation (my neighbor has a small dogwood tree about 30 feet from where my line runs, I have bushes across the front of the house) is the "death to the roots" limited to those inside the pipe or do the roots suck up the poison and carry back to the plant?

I want my drains to work, but I don't want to slowly kill any bushes or trees.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

He's got a flush toilet in the cellar... flush the rock salt.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

About a year ago the city replaced the main sewer line serving my street. The old sewer line was 8" concrete - the new is 10" plastic (of some kind). What's fascinating was the way they did it.

Starting at one end, they POUNDED the new pipe THROUGH the old pipe, fracturing the old pipe as they went! All day long THUD..... THUD.... THUD.

Eventually the plastic probe reached the end of the block.

Then they came along with an itty-bitty back hoe, dug up all the connections in people's yards and connected the individual houses to the new plastic pipe. They filled in the holes, placed sod over the mess, repaired the fence, and moved on.

Ain't technology grand?

Reply to
HeyBub

How do you know the pipe needs replacement? Unscrupulous drain cleaning services have been known to lie to customers in order to drum up business. Get a second opinion.

Reply to
Bob

Have you read the rest of this thread?

The first (and only) opinion I've gotten is my own.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

  1. A well equipped plumber/inspector uses a SeeSnake or similar camera system which goes down the sewer on a pushrod. Most of these units can record to VHS or to some digital media. Ask to see the inspection by camera or a recording of it.
  2. The marking of the line of the sewer pipe can be done at the same time if he is usig the kind of camera that includes a small 512 Hz transmitter built-in. This is standard in all the SeeSnake and most other models of piep inspection systems. The location of the camera at any given point in time is located using a locator receiver such as RIDGE's Scout or SR-20, or some othe rbrand that can detect the 512 Hz frequency. Each point is marked with chalk or spray paint. You get a neat dotted line along your yard showing you where the pipe is, if the operator knows his business.
Reply to
amosje

The problem with replacing your own sewer pipe is that you might make a mistake. First replace your neighbor's sewer pipe, and if all goes well, do yours.

Reply to
mm

This is the most important caveat in this whole thread. You know your trench will be at least 4' deep and sloping downward. To proceed without shoring is foolhardy. Even here in central Illinois, by law, a trench in our stiff clay soil must be shored up.. A few weeks ago, one of our local contractors with a reputation for low bids and cutting corners got nailed $100K IIRC, for not shoring up a sewer trench and piling the material too close to the dig (to save $$). Since you will spend quite a bit to rent or buy shoring materials, your most sensible option is a competent contractor. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

the salt and I have been doing this for 10 years, hurts nothing but the roots in the line.it works fast here, if i see things getting slugish, i dump in the salt and leave for the day. by next morning problem gone.

My line sits directly below a large maple tree and some other trees and bushes.

copper sulphate can kill the trees, a friends neighbor used copper sulphate and killed 2 beautiful sycamore trees over a 100 years old.

Reply to
hallerb