can I paint vinyl?

I just rescued an old changing table (used in the 60s). It has a tubular metal frame and four wicker baskets that swing open. The attached top opens out to a padded vinyl mat which is in good condition, but has some permanent stains and is kind of ugly, white with brown flowers and swirls. I'm repainting the baskets white since they've yellowed with age but the vinyl top and mat are encased in a hinged metal frame and I'm not sure I can easily take it apart to recover it. Do you think I can paint the vinyl? And if so, with what (latex, oil, spray enamel?). Any advice welcome. Thanks.

-Holly

Reply to
I & H

The mat is best recovered with new material. Yes, vinyl can be painted, but a mat will flex too much to hold paint.

Solid parts can be painted with Krylon Fusion

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Krylon (and Rustoleum also, I think) now makes spray cans of paint specifically for plastic, but I don't know how flexible it would be.

MB

On 09/11/04 05:28 pm I & H put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

Rustoleum makes paint for vinyl, but it only comes in three colors - black, tan, & white. I'm sure there are other companies who make it as well.

Reply to
Nightstar

Plastikote makes a soft vinyl paint. I used it back in the late 70's to paint the vinyl interior of my car, including the seats. It worked pretty good. Don't forget, the current vinyl is the same color all the way through. The paint will just cover the top and any scratches or wear will show the old color underneath.

willshak