Clogged Bathroom Sink

My bathroom sink drain runs quite slow and doesn't seem improved with drain cleaners. It's a pedestal sink so even if I remove the trap there is little or no room to insert and work a snake. The right angle elbow just behind the sink in the wall that turns the pipe horizontally was replaced 5 years ago when the sink was installed so I'm reasonably sure it and the trap is not clogged. The water takes a little time to back up so I'm assuming the clog is farther down the pipe. There are 3 other elbows before the line dumps into the main sewer line in the basement floor. I'm considering cutting out about 6 feet of the horizontal cast iron pipe the runs between the floor joists in the basement. This would give me good access to snake out the elbows on either end and then replacing the section with PVC and couplers. There seems to be no other good access to clean out this drain short of removing the pedestal sink. This seems a little radical for just a clog but won't be an expensive fix and if things go as planned won't be too difficult either. Does anybody understand what I'm contemplating and have any thoughts on it?

Reply to
tgilb

Yes, that's a workable scheme. You could also insert a CleanOut TEE in the middle of the new section. That will give you access forever and you can snake in either direction. Tilt the opening of the TEE slightly upward so that gunk won't collect.

Measure the pipe OD carefully to get the correct coupling. Pipe may be galv iron, not cast.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks for The reply, hadn't thought about a cleanout tee. It's cast and I'm sure about the size as I had to replace the Kitchen drain a couple years ago from the sink to the stack and cut & coupled the same size pipe then.

Reply to
tgilb

If your description is accurate, then there's a horizontal run after the sink trap but before the vent is reached, and quite possibly there's a lot of crud lying in that horizontal section.

Before trying anything more drastic I suggest giving it a good hard workout with a plunger. Plug up all the sink bowl overflow openings with some wet rags, and get a helper to hold them tightly in place for you.

Fill the sink bowl with water and have at it with a plunger as energetically as you can, pushing and pulling the water out of and back into the sink.

The results might amaze you, it's worked for me...

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Thanks for the response but that was the first thing I tried. After that I sought drain cleaner help but nothing's improved the flow. Not a complete blockage, but apparently a Bill Clinton situation.

Reply to
tgilb

I was given this tip from an outfit that does drain cleaning etc. Drill a hole in the cast iron pie (accessible for me) big enough to handle a snake. Tap the hole and plug it. Mine is just downstream of the sink, pedestal also, and would be a very easy solution. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Largest sauce pan in the house. Boil water. Very carefully carry boiliing water into bathroom adn pour in sink.

Might melt and move th e grease so it's some where else.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The only thing that has worked for me is to put a full spoon of caustic soda right next to the drain and pour a quarter of a gallon of boiling water right behind it (so the soda stands in the way between the water and the drain). Be very careful, as caustic soda is very toxic. I'm no expert at risk prevention, but just in case I open the window, stand as far as possible, don't breathe and leave right away, closing the bathroom door.

Reply to
Jaime Alvarez

First try putting copper sulfate into the sewer pipe. Sometimes tree roots and sapling roots clog the sewer drain. You can get it at any Home depot or Lowes.

Reply to
Dave G

Remind me please. That would be sodium carbonate? Or would that be sodium hydroxide (lye)? My memory says sodium carbonate.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon