Can I get double switch from the 40's?

Can I get double toggle switch from the 40's? The kind that fits in a single gang box, but has two switches, each that toggle from side to side, instead of up and down. They sell new ones of course, but the dimentsions are different. The holes required in the wall plate are now the same size as for receptacles. In the 1940's, they were about

2/3rds that size. Small enough that in the hall, they had 3 toggles in a single gang box, one toggle above the other.

If you don't know where to get them, do you know the proper word to search on: classic, antique, some name I don't know?

While I was getting to know my new motorcycle at its old location, an old man approached a man working on the house, but he didn't speak English, or he was smart enough to say that he didn't. The guy asked if anyone did and he pointed to me.

The guy wanted to hire someone to replace the one piece, double toggle in his bathroom. You know, takes up the space of one toggle, but has two that move sideways.

He already had the switch, but after I did it, I saw that the cover plate has two little holes that fit the toggles on the old switch, but were too small for the new switch (which needed holes like an electical outlet has). And it has two screw holes, top and bottom, instead of one in the center. And it's been covered in wallpaper to match the bathroom, which maybe I can move to a new wall plate.

It turns out I know friends of theirs and I want to do a really good job.

Is it still possible to get the old style toggle.

Reply to
mm

Yes, the type of switches you are looking for are called "Despard" you use a metal bracket that has three rectangles in it and snap in single pole or three way switches or pilot lights, in each space

Reply to
RBM

They're called Despard switches, and they are still made. You probably won't find them at Lowe's or Home Depot (but Menards is a possibility). Any decent electrical supply house should have them, or be able to order them. And of course Google is your friend.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Thanks to all of especially Doug and RBM who knew about "Despard". I'm sure I'll be able to find them.

Reply to
mm