Can I flare a gable roof at the bottom?

I just built a 8x20 porch with a simple half gable roof (not a hip roof). Just finished putting up the roof decking. Looking at it from the house, I think it would look better if the roof were a bit narrower at the top than the bottom (giving the effect of the hip roof I guess). Would it be ok to leave 6-8" overhang at top, and 12" at the bottom? There would be 4-6" difference in width between top and bottom. Since I am covering with wood shingle, I can cut the shingles accordingly. I am wondering though if this would create a problem with water runoff down the sides. Thanks,

-- Jeff

Reply to
dynamorph

tapering the top & leaving it plumb will look stupid IMO. put the hip on. It's not that difficult.

Reply to
longshot

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: I just built a 8x20 porch with a simple half gable roof (not a hip roof). Just finished putting up the roof decking. Looking at it from the house, I think it would look better if the roof were a bit narrower at the top

than the bottom (giving the effect of the hip roof I guess). Would it be ok to leave 6-8" overhang at top, and 12" at the bottom? There would be 4-6" difference in width between top and bottom. Since I am covering with wood shingle, I can cut the shingles accordingly. I am wondering though if this would create a problem with water runoff down the sides. Thanks, Jeff

A half-gable roof, that would be a "shed" roof? If I'm reading this correctly, sure, you can do it. You'll need a flashing at the top. Tom

Reply to
tom