Calculating gallons used by a toilet

I searched the internet and found some different formulas for calculating the volume of water used by a toilet.

I took measurements of a toilet made in the 1950's and the inside measurements of the bowl were

18 x 14 x 9 inches . The height was measured from the bottom of the bowl to the fill line.

Does anyone know the correct formula for calculating how many gallons that represents?

Thanks.

Reply to
WhiteTea77581

Who cares about measurements of tank, to figure usage turn off water, flush toilet, fill up till full with amount known, there is your usage.

Reply to
ransley

You have to measure from where the flapper closes water level to the fill line. Most tanks do not completely empty before the flapper closes.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

I have an old toilet probably 50's era. It is 6 x 19 and the water level goes from 2 to 6.75 inches. (6x19x4.75) = 541.5 cu in or 2.3 gallons per flush. What does a new toilet use?

Reply to
Hipupchuck

2.3 isnt much, 1.6 is new low flush units and my old ones use near 5.
Reply to
ransley

1.6 gallons
Reply to
salty
1 galon = 231 cubic inches.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My daughter has one of new 1.6 gallon toilets.

I have nicknamed them "3 flushers".

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea77581

Thanks.

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea77581

WhiteTea77581 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c2g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

Makes you pissed off and wanna return it...lodged turd and all.

Reply to
Red Green

No such problem here.

Reply to
Bob F

Depends on the amount of fiber in your diet. Increase your fiber for a one flush sitting.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

An outhouse doesn't use any water. Every home should have one. Good emergency back too in case somebody is tying up the only bath.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

Backwards. More fiber means more "floaters." More floaters means more flushes.

If you eat nothing but red meat ("sinkers"), you should be fine.

Reply to
HeyBub

Keep your day job, you won't make it as a comedienne.

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

The early ones were. We still have one in a seldom used half bath. When the government mandated lower volume toilets the manufacturers fitted smaller tanks without much thought. We have the newer version of the same toilet in another bathroom and it has a much larger fully glazed outlet and is a one flush version

Reply to
George

Just think, that stuff in the toilet was in your mouth yesterday.

Reply to
Hipupchuck
  • Take the top off the tank.
  • Note the water level.
  • Turn the water supply off
  • FLush
  • Manually refill the tank measuring the water as you fill.
Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

That 's retarded and inaccurate.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

I take it anyone who does not agree with you is retarded and inaccurate?

How do you figure it is inaccurate. I would suggest it is the most accurate method. You have something more accurate?

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe