Buzzing noise from switch

Hello,

I just changed a 60W incandescent bulb for a 27W (100W equivalent) CFL bulb in one of the rooms in my house. The light is controlled via two three-way switches, one at either end of the room. When one of the switches is in the "up" position, and the light is on, the switch itself makes a buzzing noise.

Any pointers? I was going to take the switch out and make sure all the wires were connected properly.

Thanks! Chris

Reply to
chris.atlee

If it's a switch, it shouldn't buzz or crackle. Replace it. If it's a dimmer, replace it with a switch

Reply to
RBM

Reply to
Telstra

If I'm not mistaken, there are specific dimmers for flourescent lighting. Some dimmers tell you not to use them on flourescents. Take the bulb out immediately and investigate the dimmer to see if it is rated for flourescent. My guess is that it isn't although I have heard dimmers buzz a little when you dim down.

good luck

Reply to
edee_em

It's not a dimmer switch, just a regular 3-way switch. And the buzzing only happens when the switch is up and the light is on. If the switch down and the light is on (by toggling the second switch in the room), then there is no sound.

Reply to
chris.atlee

Hello,

I just changed a 60W incandescent bulb for a 27W (100W equivalent) CFL bulb in one of the rooms in my house. The light is controlled via two three-way switches, one at either end of the room. When one of the switches is in the "up" position, and the light is on, the switch itself makes a buzzing noise.

Any pointers? I was going to take the switch out and make sure all the wires were connected properly.

Thanks! Chris

It may only be a loose connection or a bad terminal on one of the travelers. I would change the switch.

Reply to
John Grabowski

watch out! Bees are in there.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

Thanks for the tips everyone. Looks like it is indeed the switch, so I'll have to go bug the builder to come and replace it.

Thanks! Chris

Reply to
chris.atlee