buying new home ...need help

My sister is thinking of buying a home in the Bay Area, California.

The developer is building 3 new houses. He is not a known builder.

What should one look for when buying such a new home ?

The builder does not have a web site ...the sale is being done thru a real estate sales person.

The homes are pretty, have a good floor , good location etc.and that is the attraction.

Can any one pls help ?

Is there a checklist ?

should she have a real estate agent represent her ?

Normally when one buys from a well known developer one does not need a RE agent to represent oneself but in this case....the developer appears to be a mom and pop type....so what to do ?

Thanks Linda

Reply to
lindagoldstein100

Your question is not clear. Are you asking about legal or about construction quality issues? If I were buying a house long distance and the house were not built, I'd use an attorney and an architect. I work on residential building failures with a contractor who acts as expert witness. The number of problems that can be built into a house is incredible. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Most big developers work on volume giving their superindetants big bonuses for coming in under budget. Most the work is peaced out ( why use two nails if one will do) They make big money on inflated upgrade cost. So with a small builder his reputation is important for his business, plus working with him would be more personal. Also if the house is not started yet you could watch the progress and do your own inspection or find someone to inspect it. I was a carpenter in Marin for 16 years and if I leaned any thing Most big developers put out crap. That was in the 70t's and 80t's and it's got worse. There is allot of unskilled labor out there.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Hi, You need a lawyer, someone who has experience in building industry for advice. When home is built, you are talking about more or less 40 different trades. I never bought a spec. home in my life. I always had custom built with my own blue print drawn from my design idea. Over the years we gained some experience. What you see is important but what's underneath is more so. Up here in Calgary spec. home costs 200.00 per square foot at present. When you deal, everything even small details in writing. For an example if you want to a shelf on a wall, do it in writing. If you want certain color, do it in writing.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Cookie cutters

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hire an accredited/licensed HOME INSPECTOR.

Reply to
Phil

. When home is built, you are talking about more or less 40

Hmm. Just made a short list & come up about 20. Just nitpicking a bit here. No offense meant.

Excavation Foundation Frame & ext. trim. Plumbing HVAC Electrical Drywall- rockers Finishers Texture Int. trim Tile Hardwood Carpet layer Roofer Gutter install Painter Flat work Glaziers Mason Telephone- cable install

Ok, you could add garage door installers. Landscapers Paperhangers Specialty closet installers.

I'd think that would do it unless you start getting into lots of different speciality finishes.

Anyone want to add to this list?

Reply to
3rd eye

Forgot insulation.