Burying black iron pipe

It has been shown here and is common knowledge that black pipe CAN rust out in just a few years. and if the grill only last 30 months, then something's wrong.

Won't meet code.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Is black pipe even legal in your area? The last natural gas line I ran had to be that orange plastic stuff where it was underground. The original black pipe was illegal in SW Ohio over 20 years ago because of the soil.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Where is this not allowed? I installed a new natural gas service to my house in Middletown, Ohio 24 years ago. I had to use the orange plastic, and leave the trench open for the city inspection, then have CG&E run a leak test before I was allowed to fill the ditch and have my gas turned back on.

The guy from CG&E couldn't figure out how I got a full 21 foot piece of black iron pipe into the 12' * 12' basement, and was upset that I passed the test on the first try. He had bragged that licensed plumbers failed at least three times per location, before it passed and 'that there is no way in hell you'll pass if they can't'. He ran the test three times, in an attempt to fail me. After he finished, I explained how I got the pipe into the basement, in one piece. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I went to a industrial pipe supplier. They sold the plastic pipe by the foot, and had all the special fittings, as well as copies of the local code, and phone numbers from the cities, and different utility companies. Not only did they have the right materials, they were the only source for almost 100 miles.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

But I am sure you know one example of "see this works" proves absolutely nothing.

Reply to
George

Do you have gas inspectors in your area? If you do you had better hope he does not inspect your installation since he could ( in many jurisdictions ,be forced to by law)shut off the gas supply to your house until the offending installation is repaired.

Reply to
sparky

Here you have to have a licensed gas fitters tagg at the last fitting and he takes the fall if it fails gas is deadly don.t care where you been you or what you fought, right once, wrong never again kaboom . Ive never had a failed fitting in 25 yrs of doing gas or a failed inspection.

Reply to
jim

Code is 18". Did you ever hear of a frost heave?

Reply to
Tony