Burning green/wet firewood

They are most likely right, but no guarantees. The creosote will build up where it condenses and hits the chimney wall. While it usually happens in the first portion (from my limited experience) the actual answer depends on the temperature of the fire, the temperature of the flue, the draw of the flue and this varies along with the outside temperature.

In my case, I clean the entire chimney once a year, but I do the bottom five feet about four times a year since it is very easy for me to do. Your house will certainly be a bit different.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The chimney goes up through the ceiling of the front room into an unfinished attic room. There it goes through two 45 degree bends before going through the roof. I would have to take it apart there, and from there I can see all the way to the top, and to the bottom. The roof is quite steep, I would not be able to do it from the outside without proper safety equipment - which I don't have. I'm burning mostly very dry pine, it sat for several years under a tarp. I can almost split it with my hands, it's so dry.

Reply to
Ook