burned fluoscent sockets

any ideas on why 8 foot HO fluorescent sockets would keep burning out? The sockets are Leviton no. 524 and 523.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

I know why but I dont know what to do about it. When the bulb goes bad it keeps trying to start unsuccessfully and eventual burns the sockets out. The bulbs must get reallly hot when they do this because we have some with colored filters on them and the filters have actually caught fire a few time and melted several others.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Lamps probably aren't making good contact. Often when bulb sleeves are used, the end caps cause this to happen

Reply to
RBM

Made in China, at building 975,230 with the wrong steel, to save

00000.1c
Reply to
ransley

Problem may be fixture with spacing between sockets too wide. High operating temperatures and corrosive atmospheres could contribute.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I had some old/new (NOS) bulbs where the terminals were a little corroded. They could cause the same problem, but I cleaned them before installing them.

Reply to
Tony