Builder did not leave enough room for standard fridge

"Ya' gotsta' pick your pize-un" grandpa was found of saying... :(

From the picture it seems to be a funny kitchen arrangement no matter what. Better imo to have less counter space but functional than non-functional drawers/cabinets and that big hole in the corner of the original imo. It looks like it might be more convenient from the layout there as well, or at least no less. The door opening in the middle layout isn't real conducive for traffic around it.

Noise is a possible downside, certainly, but fridges don't run continuously and at least some aren't terribly noisy...

OP will have to pick and choose options vs outlay, but Oren's plan looks at least superficially like a sizable improvement to me...

Almost anything would be given the original, though...I agree there it seems to be an absurd design if the picture OP posted was what really was intended.

--

Reply to
dpb

My thought of NOT moving the fridge is that it would interfere with the portion of the cabinet, most likely intended for a breakfast bar (angled in pic - where the step stool sits now will have a couple of "bar stools") Under this cabinet front will be the (my guess) DW.

I like plenty counter space around the sink and stove - on both sides.

Mike Ruska plan :)

I like the thought:)

This kitchen reminds me of our area for a median priced home.

-- Oren

Oren

oops! mea culpa, got eyes crossed on who wrote what, sorry Mike! :(

--

Reply to
dpb

The issue is that a "standard size" fridge should fit the space. I have no idea what a "standard size" fridge is - mine is 31.5" deep from wall tofront of fridge, not including the handles. You said you kept asking what size fridge you should buy.......sounds like a cop-out to me. You must have had drawings before you signed a contract, I hope. The size of appliances, along with cost, features and arrangement are one of the very most basic and costly parts of the plan. First-time home buyers are bound to make mistakes or overlook things that they think of too late. It may be possible to get a fridge - not side-by-side - that will allow the cab. door and drawer to open if the fridge door is open. Might also be able to change the cabinet door to open from left side (hinge on right) to get into that.

Reply to
Norminn