Bubble wrap for insulation

How would bubble wrap work for insulation between a window and a storm window or between a window and a screen? It would still allow light to get through and it's not too expensive.

---MIKE---

>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire >> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Reply to
---MIKE---

New Hampshire

Would probably work but you better check trailer park rules to see if it meets their code ;)

Reply to
Frank

---MIKE---

If it's exposed to direct sunlight it would break it down pretty quickly. If you're talking about packing bubble wrap but it would probably work pretty good if you packed it in tight.

Reply to
retired54

I don't think it would accomplish much. Caulking the gaps will work though.

Insulation comes from having air between the windows that doesn't exchange with either the indoors or outdoors. The caulk will do that.

Some additional insulation comes from keeping the air that _is_ captured between the panes from circulating and carrying heat from one piece of glass to the other, and bubble wrap would slow that down a little, but I'm guessing it wouldn't do it very much.

Reply to
SteveBell

Perhaps, but bubble wrap has probably not been tested for heat and fire =

resistance. I would be concerned to create a fire and smoke hazard right =

at my door...

Reply to
Chris

Perhaps, but bubble wrap has probably not been tested for heat and fire resistance. I would be concerned to create a fire and smoke hazard right at my door... ===============================================

good point!

olddog

Reply to
retired54

Perhaps, but bubble wrap has probably not been tested for heat and fire resistance. I would be concerned to create a fire and smoke hazard right at my door...

"Someone" makes some "bublewrap" that is also a raidaton shied in that it has a layer or two of reflector maerial. I wanted to use it to cover some exposed HVAC ducts and the manufacturer's folks said it was OK.

Reply to
John Gilmer

I've used that stuff for my heater closet. Insulated the closet and helped with the noise. But it wasn't transparent.

olddog

Reply to
retired54

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote in news:15433-490EFA7E-1506 @storefull-3251.bay.webtv.net:

Fill it with Great Stuff expanding foam. It says it's for wind'rs 'n doors. Easily 'comodates goofy size trailer doors.

Reply to
Red Green

Works fine for me. I've got some bubble wrap in a couple of my windows.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hope it does some good. I've got some bubble wrap that's been in my unused window the last couple years.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I got some at Home Depot, which was rather expensive. And stapled it under some ducts where the fiberglass had fallen off. I sure hope it's helping. Cost enough.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's not exactly an elegant solution to heat loss, but placing several layers of plastic containing trapped air pockets (which is what bubble wrap is) does act as effective insulation. It also lets sunlight through and thus allows your house to absorb solar energy for additional heat. You would probably be better off using several sheets of the small bubble wrap on a window, rather than one big sheet with the big bubbles. Don't listen to the bozos around here trying to criticize you - energy conservation doesn't make you trailer trash, and being cheap is not evil.

- Logic316

"Civilisation will not attain to its perfection until the last stone from the last church falls on the last priest." -- Emile Zola

Reply to
Logic316