Bryant Gas Furnace- should capacitor be changed w/blower

I am getting a new blower motor put in my gas furnace (Bryant 330AAV upflow). The technician recommends changing the capacitor as well since the blower motor will not spin freely, he says that the capacitor has had extra strain on it trying to turn the blower. This makes sense to me but I wanted to run it by some folks just to make sure I'm not being snookered. Please comment, thanks

Reply to
louis3301

They're cheap. I would replace it.

Reply to
CJT

It's a good idea to replace it. They do go bad occasionally so update them at the same time.

Pj

Reply to
Pj

Okay, so it sounds like replacing the capacitor is a good idea, but I'm still curious if the tech person was correct in stating that the capacitor has endured undue stress while the blower motor wore out and became progressively more difficult to turn until it (the blower motor) finally crapped out. Any more opinions? Thanks!

Reply to
louis3301

I think it's actually more likely the other way around -- a failing capacitor stressing a motor.

Reply to
CJT

My sense is the beerrings in the fan got worse and worse, until the friction was greater than the motor's power.

In either case (if the chicken laid the egg, or the egg hatched the chicken) replace the capacitor. They are cheaper than a house call. Quit straining over pennies, and think for the long term.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, First you have to know what the capacitor does. It is called starting cap. When motor is starting receiving power, cap's job is sort of to push start the motor going(called phase leading capacitor). Once motor starts spinning, cap is out of circuit. He is pulling your leg, IMO.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Ditto.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

... unless it's a run capacitor rather than a start capacitor (likely).

Reply to
CJT