Bronze Pump

I used to like to buy bronze pumps because you could always repair them. Guess what, you can=92t get parts for them anymore.

Reply to
Molly Brown

I find it hard to believe that parts can't be obtained for ANY bronze pumps

Reply to
RBM

Personally, I prefer loafers in any color.

Reply to
1D10T

That is not true.

Reply to
ransley

A bronze pump is no more repairable than any other pump of similar design.

What manufacturer of a bronze pumps are you talking about? Why are you using bronze? What specifically are you trying to repair?

Reply to
tnom

BELL AND GOSSETT

BRONZE BODY CIRCULATOR SLC-25B

Reply to
Molly Brown

For $100 you can replace the whole pump with an current model.

Reply to
tnom

BELL AND GOSSETT

BRONZE BODY CIRCULATOR SLC-25B

That's an old pump and it is obsolete. It's been replaced by NBF-22. Bronze pumps are considerably more expensive than iron pumps, and parts for either should be obtainable if the pump is current. Unless you have a need for Bronze, you could save some $$

Reply to
RBM

Funny, I always thought that current was the opposite of obsolete. Bronze as a metal doesn=92t seem to get obsolete; it=92s still expensive as heck. Sure I want to save money; that=92s why I thought I bought a good quality pump that I could repair.

Reply to
Molly Brown

snip

The extra cost of bronze can only be explained by code requirements or an irrational concern about lead content in a cast iron pump. It has nothing to do with being easier to repair.

Reply to
tnom

I have many 50yr and 1, 80 yr old bronze pumps now working, no cast pump would have been working 30 years ago, they would have rusted away. Its more than code its simple longevity and knowing you have less to worry about. I clean them, replace switches and wires, and motors, remove garbage from the pit, but no new pumps.

Reply to
ransley

I have many 50yr and 1, 80 yr old bronze pumps now working, no cast pump would have been working 30 years ago, they would have rusted away. Its more than code its simple longevity and knowing you have less to worry about. I clean them, replace switches and wires, and motors, remove garbage from the pit, but no new pumps.

You are comparing a domestic hydronic circulator pump with a sump pump. It isn't sitting submerged in a pit

Reply to
RBM

Exactly. I was expecting to use it for 160 years since it WASN=92T sitting submerged in a pit.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Exactly. I was expecting to use it for 160 years since it WASN?T sitting submerged in a pit.

But it wasn't the bronze that wore out. The parts that wear out are the same as those on iron pumps.

Reply to
RBM

Right again. Thanks to companies like Bell and Gossett I am not getting my money=92s worth from the bronze pump because they don=92t care enough about their product as much as I did to keep making parts for it.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Just exactly what needs to be replaced? Bearings, shaft, seal, gaskets, impeller, coupling, housing?

Reply to
tnom

Seals, gasket and impeller.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Aftermarket seals that will fit the dimensions of that pump will always be available. You can make your own gaskets. Are you sure the parts for the cast iron variety of that pump doesn't include a stainless impeller that will fit yours?

Reply to
tnom

You may already have this info but can you find the impeller here:

tnom

What you got there isn't even close to what I got.

Reply to
Molly Brown