broken garage door opener... fixable?

Hello, I have a Sears Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door opener. Last week it stopped working for me. When I turn it on, the motor makes a noise for about a second, and then stops. The lights and everything else seem to work. The number on the motor is 04302GP. The wires going to it from the capacitor and the power supply seem to be melted a little, so I suspect it has burned out. is this easily replaceable, or should I just spring for a new garage door opener?

Reply to
chadsell

I have a Sears Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door opener. Last week it

Did you check to see if the door was blocked or locked, or a spring was broken? Sounds like the motor is either burned out, or cannot overcome load of door.

Reply to
Roger

Sounds like the capacitor is bad & maybe the fluid inside it got on the wires when it blew.

Doordoc

doordoc

Yes, do make sure that you disconnect the door from the opener to make sure that it operates without a lot of resistance. If it has a torsion spring that is broken then there's no way the opener will be able to lift it.

Reply to
SN