Bright flasklight?

I have a 3-D-cell LED no-name flaslight and the LEDs are going out and otherwise screwed up. I can't figure out how to remove the LED assembly to replace LEDs as required. In light of this can someone suggest a nice bright flashlight of another type or at least more easily repaired? Do they still make those 9-volt battery flashlights? I've not seen one for a long time.

Recommendations of something I can easily find locally?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Look around on the internet. There are scads of cheap to very reasonably priced LED flashlights. With your 3-D it almost sounds as if it's a retrofit unit (LED module popped into an incandescent bulb unit). Lose it! Have several high quality Streamlight units and neither of them will hold a candle to a relatively cheap LED light with a rechargeable battery that is 1/4 the size. 1/4 the size and probably five times the light output.

Seeing as how this usenet group is worldwide (if "they" so choose) what would you consider local? Planet Earth? ;)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I'd ditch it and get a single bulb led. I've got a 3 D cell single bulb from HD rated at 200 lumens. I think Walmart carries a lot of good stuff.

The bulb itself should last practically forever but other electronics can go bad. Google up the innards of a led or cfl and they look more complex than my first Radioshack computer.

I had to toss one when the switch broke.

Reply to
Frank

I have purchased three of these flashlights, two for myself, and one for a gift. They are amazing!!!! Not local, but worth the wait.

Reply to
Ken

If yo want local, Koopman's has a few nice lights.

LED seems to be the way to go as you can get bright and long battery life. Check Amazon. I got a few small, single AA lights that are amazingly bright but they have a bunch of others. The ones I got are

300 lumen for $3. Cree brand.

They also have a 2,000 lumen

Ed Pawlowski

As an FYI, that's the same one you can get on eBay for 10 bucks. On Amazon it costs 30 bucks.

Reply to
Vic Smith

It's safe to buy one of those now: they've already sold #666.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Flashlights, like so many things, cover a wide range of needs and features. Please answer a few questions, and we can do a better job of suggestions.

How much money to spend?

Does the flashlight live in your car, tool box, in the house, pocket carry, or glovebox?

Do you need close vision like repairing under the sink, or distance like racoons in trees?

Will this be a self defense tool?

How often to use this light? Daily? Only in rare power cuts?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

xkcd comics can be a little cryptic but I think you'll get this one...

Reply to
rbowman

Thank you. A comic I can understand.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have a Maglite that also went. First it was tricky to turn on. Then it just died, and the bulb is not replaceable! They're also very expensive. I'm not wild about LED flashlights. They're only really bright when you stare into them. And the claim that the bulbs last forever is simply not true. So now I just buy the cheapest I can find. I got a mini one recently at a paint store for $3 to replace the Maglite. (The prices on those are absurdly high.) The $3 light works fine and fits in a pocket. If it breaks at some point it won't be a big loss.

For a bright light used for things like camping I like the big flashlights with the boxy 6 volt batteries. I can't find the incandescent ones anymore, but I have some old ones that I keep. Home Depot sells them for $4-$5, witrh the whole thing being about the same price as just the battery itself.

Reply to
Mayayana

Flasklight!

bob_villain

Buying the cheapest piece of crap you can find is always the recipe for success.

Reply to
rbowman

KenK formulated the question :

Find flashlights that have a single LED. They give more light and are more reliable.

Try this;

Eagle

| Buying the cheapest piece of crap you can find is always the recipe for | success.

:) Indeed. They're all basically just batteries, a bulb and some kind of metal connection. And the light doesn't seem to know it's not well dressed. So there's not much sense paying more for a name.

Actually, though, after writing the earlier post I found my Maglite actually seems to have a halogen bulb. Maybe with some luck I can find a replacement.

Reply to
Mayayana

What's a FLASKLIGHT ??????

Reply to
Paintedcow

A lighted booze flask?

Reply to
Eagle

http%3A%2F%2Fi1181.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fx430%2FBenDarrenBach%2Fflask_zpsgpzgzs6a.jpg&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNH7dsPyUmYomx1M0C9m0uDL5q3Z0A

Reply to
bob_villain

rote:

Damned Google! ?

Reply to
bob_villain

CY: Mag has excellent repair service.

I'm not wild about LED flashlights.

CY: I've had good results with Mag. The filament ones are still at Walmart.

CY: Try Walmart, or Home Depot.

CY: Battery itself is about 2.50 at Walmart, for the cheap battery.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon