Breaking up old concrete

I don't consider a little bruising a big problem.

No way I'd take 8 days to do something I can do in 1 day.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I guess we don't have that wuss patrol looking after us around here.

Reply to
bill allemann

I have the Harbor Freight jack hammer, and it's done fine and lasting a lot longer than I woulda thought. It's not as powerful as some of the big names, but on the other hand, it's lighter weight and therefore easier on a casual user.

yeah easy to use, just put on top and pull trigger.

harbor freight sells a nice one poretty cheap, they have lots of uses once you own one

Reply to
bill allemann

I've broken up 18" round piers with an electric hammer, the cheap Harbor Freight one, and did it with stitching (hammering a spot for 6 or 8 seconds and then repeating a few inches over). When you get a straight line of the divots all the way across, at some point the concrete breaks along the line. You can actually get a pretty straight cut with this method.

Reply to
bill allemann

One might need three days to clear it with the health executive.

-- Oren

Oren

How in heck did we ever get any work done "back in the good old days" before we knew this stuff was bad for us. I can't say how many hours I have with a

90#er on a IR BIG compressor.

I think it's psychological. Back in those days, we didn't know it was bad for us, and look how we turned out. Today's kids hear EVERYTHING is bad for them, so they either do nothing, or file for worker's comp the second day. Of course, on the second day, they've already gone on the Internet and read all about carpal tunnel and white finger and know how to go in and give a good presentation of symptoms to the doctor.

Good Gawd! Lawn darts, spud guns, how did we live through it?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

If that was the case, vibrating adult toys would be banned.

I'm curious what the Health Executive in the UK warms about that.

The OP mentions a cause for white finger, from vibration. :-))

-- Oren

Oren

Correction, not the OP (head bowed).

-- Oren

Oren

somewhere my dad still has those lawn darts (jarts?) i wonder if they could even be sold on ebay now, or are they too much of a weapon?

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
charlie

Quick search shows lawn dart tee shirts and plastic darts. What a load of c**p.

Reply to
Dan Espen

"charlie" wrote

I bet a hundred dollars to a donut hole it would go something like this:

you sell the darts on ebay some kid pokes a hole in his little brother's skull (why is it always the YOUNGER brother?) they sue you for all you have and win.

Steve PS: If you have brothers, you know the answer to the question..................

Reply to
Steve B

No more dodge-ball?

At 14 - knives and guns were presents. Drive a car; alone during the day at 14 and at night a 16 year old with a license could allow me to drive at night as long as they were in the car.

JARTS were not weapons when they came to market.

-- Oren

Oren

Many thanks for all the on-topic help. I have a much clearer idea of what I need to do and what my best options are. Actually, I enjoyed the digressions (Jarts, etc.) too. Paul in San Francisco

Reply to
Paul MR

And if you're sixty and can't get a prescription bottle open, just hand it to an eight year old.

POP!

But I do see how it's better to protect the little ones.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

No, more like this:

I have one and find ways to use it all the time - busting concrete, fence posts, digging out tree stubs. Its a bit too heavy, but if you really like a good one look at Hilti, very light and strong but mucho $$.

Reply to
** Frank **

Go down to the local Gym. Find about 20 very muscular gay men that lift weights. Invite them to your place and let them bang each other on the concrete. You'll end up with a pile of sand. It should be easy to find these guys in SanFrancisco.

Reply to
!!!!!!

Be almost less work to just use a powered furniture dolly, and move the chunks as is, wouldn't it?

Reply to
Goedjn

What is a powered furniture dolly? Does it carry a heavy load like a refrigerator up the staircase?

Reply to
** Frank **

I suppose if you can afford a powered dolly, you can afford elevators.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Free health care lobby? WTF is that? The National Health Service takes care of the medical needs for all from the cradle to the grave. We pay for it by paying National Insurance contributions from our earnings (everyone is covered by this insurance).

As for vibration white finger, a number of cases have appeared in ex- miners in this country. In the US you have coal mines in the Appalachians and I wouldn't be surprised if VWF was common among older men in those areas.

Don't you have 'Health and Safety at Work' legislation in the US? Is it still legal to send 8-year-old boys up hot chimneys to clean them? In more civilised parts of the world that was outlawed some time ago. :-)

Reply to
Aardvark