Breaking up old concrete

After living with them for months, I've finally decided to get rid of big concrete chunks (remains of an old retaining wall) from my back yard. Question: What non-power tools do I need to buy to break these into pieces small enough for me to lift and carry down the stairs - say

60 pounds or less? I thought big sledge hammer would shatter them; wrong! I have more time on my hands than money at the moment. Paul in San Francisco
Reply to
Paul MR

rent a electric jackhammer........

Reply to
hallerb

I had a problem like that once. I ended up digging a very large hole and rolling it in then covering it up. I would really like to be there someday when someone digs up that cube (4' x 4' x 4') and wonders why it was there.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

How thick is the concrete?

Reply to
scott21230

its hared to beak up when its not firmly anchored.

eaier to do when it was still a wall

Reply to
hallerb

For really thick concrete, I once used an electric jack hammer and the best I could do was break off pieces from the edges and corners. That left me with a ball of concrete and I finally did what someone else suggested -- I dig a whole next to the concrete, rolled it in, and buried it.

But, in another case where the concrete pieces were thick (about 12 inches), and not wanting to rent a jack hammer, I used a big crowbar to lift one end, then placed a rock or whatever under the concrete, then hit it with a sledge hammer to break it apart. While sitting on the ground, I could never break it. But when propped up on a rock or whatever, it is much easier to break pieces off. I also use a garden hose to rinse off what I am working on and I can easily since where it is cracking from being hit with the sledge hammer. And, finally, with the big crowbar, if you can find any kind of crevice to work the crowbar into, you can break some pieces apart that way -- more science and leverage and less brute strength and muscle power.

Reply to
BETAC-T

The cross section is roughly triangular shaped, about 18 inches on each side. The length of the smallest piece is about 2 feet and the largest piece about 8 feet. Paul in San Francisco

Reply to
Paul MR

Do you think that someone who has never touched an electric jackhammer before can operate one safely and successfully? I'm willing to try if your answers are yes. Any helpful tips? Paul in San Francisco

Reply to
Paul MR

The common denominator is power tools: jackhammer, 14" or 16" portable gas saws, concrete chain saw, etc.

If you are not able to break it with a hammer after lifting a corner up like other suggested, try drilling holes and insert special steel wedges and tap away, something like this:

Drilling holes without a rotary hammer would be a challenge but you have the time.

Reply to
** Frank **

yeah easy to use, just put on top and pull trigger.

harbor freight sells a nice one poretty cheap, they have lots of uses once you own one

Reply to
hallerb

Yes, I used one a few years ago. You should be fit enough to lift one. The tip will get stuck in the concrete if you drive it in too far making extra work to remove it but it's not real hard.

I broke up a big patio and had black and blue marks on my legs after 8 hours but it wasn't all that bad.

Reply to
Dan Espen

The easier way is to drill holes with a rented rotary hammer and fill them with an expanding agent like

I used something similar on a slab a few yrs ago and it worked great. you can Google for other varieties, should be available @ a local industrial supply outfit.

YMMV

Andrew

Reply to
AndrewV

Sure, it's not rocket science. The main thing to be careful of is to change the angle slightly every so often as you drill. Drill straight in, and the bit will get stuck. You want to keep moving the bit around a little as you drill so that you make a hole that's maybe 1/8" larger than the bit, on all sides, all the way down.

And wear ear and eye protection.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I don't know about the US, but here in the UK power tools that vibrate in any way are labelled (by the Health and Safety Executive) with the recommended length of time they can be used in one go.

Vibrating tools of this type can cause vibration white finger and it is sensible to limit how much time in a twenty-four hour period you use them.

I sure as hell wouldn't use one for more than an hour at a time, even if I didn't often use one..

For more information see the following:

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:6OOnWLAm0ZQJ:

Aardvark

"Paul MR" wrote

I agree that an electric jackhammer is the way to go. You're going to be there two forevers doing it with a hammer and chisel. About the biggest hint I can give you on the hammer is get the pointy bit, and always aim towards the center of the blob. Start slow until you get a starter hole, then you can apply more pressure or higher impact rate. Any way you cut it, you have a job ahead of you. I had to jack out a block wall footer, and it was a nightmare with the rebar and no cutting torch.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"** Frank **" wrote

The guy doubted his own abilities with a jackhammer. Don't suggest something he could hurt himself with.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"AndrewV" wrote

Very interesting stuff. Drilling the two inch holes would be a chore, though.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Probably, but I'd suggest a demolition hammer instead. They're lighter and easier to operate, and cheaper to rent.

Reply to
Warren Block

That free heath care lobby must be behind this.

How do you guys get any work done?

-- Oren

Oren

Like this?