Briggs and Stratton Carb

Anyone know how to remove a Briggs and Stratton Vacu-jet carb from a

3.5 HP engine? This is the floatless type of carb with a tube extending down into the gas tank. It's held on by 5 bolts but is also fitted onto the intake tube on the engine block side.

I can't pull the carb up because of the intake tube. I can't pull it forward off of the intake tube since forward movement is blocked by the suction pipe going to the bottom of the gas tank.

From what I see, the only way to pull the carb is to lower the gas tank. This seems to require pulling the engine off of the lawnmover bed for access. There has to be a better way....

The carb is partially clogged and I can't clean it properly with it in place. The engine runs lean and will only run right if the whole mower is tilted 45 degrees or so. That seems like a weird effect for a floatless carb but I suspect that some foreign matter is partially clogging the inlet tube.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

jacko

It's been a while since I've worked on one, but the carb & tank come off as one unit, and it slides off the engine with a interference fit. There must be a screw or 3 to retain the assembly, but then it just backs off the engine with a slight twisting motion once loosened / unscrewed. I remember it being a very quick procedure.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Carb+Tank = remove together.

Reply to
Meat Plow

pull the tank and carb as an assembly, then separate them. there's probably a bolt or two under the tank that will be a pain to get to.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Wiggle it, where the carb meets the engine. And pull.

Reply to
mm

The engine or the carb? :-))

-- Oren