Breaker too small for Condenser?

"Maximum fuse or Circuit breaker is 60A" "Rated Voltage 208/230" "Minimum Circuit Ampacity 35.2"

The lights in our entire house dim, not just a few. Is it as simple as replacing the 30A Circuit breaker with a 40A or 50A breaker? We have 200A service coming to our house, and the line coming from the transformer is newly upgraded for more service.

Thanks for anyones advice in advance,

Al Coletti

Reply to
Al Coletti

Yes you need a larger breaker. But you probably need bigger wire as well. If you install a 50amp breaker you need #6 copper. You probably have #10.

Reply to
Frank DeLeon

You are looking at a bigger problem. Somewhere in the system, there is a wire coming loose or a terminal coming loose, or even a compressor going bad. If the lights dim, you need to call a pro.

Look at the nameplate. Somewhere on the plate there may be a line something like "minimum circuit ampacity XX amps" and/or "minimum breaker size XX amps." That should be the size you have.

I had a lady call me about her main breaker tripping. I checked the system and felt the temps of ALL the breakers in the panel. I suggested she call an electrician and get them to tighten the lugs in the panel and in the meter. She made the call and I spoke with the electrician. He later told me that one of the main lugs was very loose.

Have them check it out.

Reply to
HeatMan

The NEC rules that apply to condenser circuits are a bit different than for regular general purpose circuits. Minimum wire size for that condenser is #8 copper. Since you say that it's on a 30 amp breaker, you probably have a #10 wire. I'd also guess (since your lights are dimming) that the condenser is some distance from the main panel (+50 ft. or more.) Small wire + long distance to load = dimmed lights on compressor start up. Also could be loose connections. If you want the lights to stop dimming, the feeder wire should be replaced with at least a #8....preferably a #6 since it doesn't cost much more. If a 30 amp breaker has been holding, but tripping ocassionally, try a 40 amp breaker on the _new_ wire _only_. Do _not_ put a 40 amp breaker in unless you also install a larger wire (#8 or #6). Your disconnect is probably under sized too (30 amp).......should be a disconnect good for 60 amps.

Reply to
volts500