Break up 10 lb magnet

I salvaged this 10 lb magnet from a 1000 watt speaker.

I trying to make smaller magnets from it.

Wikihow says to either chip it with a hammer or saw it with a hacksaw.

What do you think?

AK

I think I remember that if you hit magnets they lose some of thei rmagnetism. Look it up and see how much I'm right or not.

Reply to
micky

And maybe the vibration from a saw will do it too. I don't know.

All the atoms are pointing in the same direction now. Or more are pointing in one direction than any other.

Banging them around may let them repoint.

Reply to
micky

I've heard that. Even cutting it may affect how it works as you are breaking up the circle. I don't know enough about magnets to say for sure but I do know you can destroy them.

What Can Demagnetize a Magnet? Volume Loss. The best way to remove a magnetic field from a magnet is through the removal of mass. ... High Heat. Applying heat to a magnet causes the magnet's electrons to dance and transition into higher energy states. ... Reverse Field. ... Impact.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

and cinfiguration you need.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Again, you are not helpful.

Reply to
AK

On the contrary. I thought his advice was good. I was going to say the same thing but he beat me to it. I would say "give" and not "sell". Very hard to sell, plenty of magnets around. Plus they make new ones now that are much stronger for the same weight. (BTW, I'm still using the speakers, woofer and tweeter, I think, from a record player made in the 1930's They work fine.

How do you have nerve enough to ask people' s opinions and then basically insult someone who goes to the trouble to answer?

Reply to
micky

I did not insult him.

His answer was not helpful, but negative.

Andy

Reply to
AK

I wish I knew what "again" referred to. but even if he was intentionally annoying the previous time, he wasn't this time. .

I think it's insulting to tell someone he was not helpful when he is plainly trying to be helpful. For one thing, you're calling him a failure.

But let's assume you didn't realize he was tryhing to be helpful. (although I don't know how that could be) He wasn't rude, he was polite, and you don't need to rate the answer he gave. It was un-gracious. If you have to say something, say Thank you.

If you said you were going to drink bleach, or cyanide, and he said it was a bad idea, that would be negative too, but very helpful I think.

Reply to
micky

AK brought next idea :

Drop it. I would bag it first and then drop it.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Either should work. Using a hammer will reduce the magnetism somewhat and of course make irregular pieces. Using a hacksaw will magnetize the saw blade (and take a very long time).

-dan z-

Reply to
slate_leeper

In that case, you should give it to someone that needs a big magnet, then buy a magnet the size and configuration you need.

Reply to
Dan Espen

When we were kids we used to magnetize objects by rubbing them (in one direction) against a large magnet.

If you need those neodynium super magnets you're not going to get that kind of strength, but if you need screwdrivers that pick up small objects this will work fine.

Reply to
TimR

How am I not being helpful? It is impractical to break up or cut the magnet. (for all the reasons others have listed) and SOMEONE might be looking for a good big magnet.

You ask for help on this forum, then you bitch and complain about the advice you are given. You cannot safely and effectively reduce the size of that magnet without adversely affecting the strength of the magnet - basically turning it into useless scrap. If it was a smaller ceramic magnet you could possibly cut it by scoring with an angle grinder but that appears to be an alnico magnet. (Not possible to say for sure from the picture) If it is a cobalt magnet grinding it is NOT safe. The dust is not good for you.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I have some of the neodynium magnets.

They are super strong.

Andy

Reply to
AK

The hacksaw got dull.

Chipping pieces off showered me with small pieces.

I will leave it as is.

Maybe mount it and use it to hang my hammers.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Andy

Reply to
AK